The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

index problem and phpbb

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by killay, Oct 24, 2004.

1. killay

killay Registered

Hi I'm Peter Vercauteren,
    I still can't get the index page when I open my site.

>http:\\bion-community.com

I put the index.php in the subfolder 'www'. I only get a sort of ftp page with all the subfolders of 'www'. And I also have a problem with the install of phpbb. (the username is a combination of letters and numbers, the password to but with capital letters) he gives the messages:

We are installing in /home/bioncomm/public_html/forum...

There was a problem with the install!

2. killay

killay Registered

Please Someone Help Me!!!!!

3. killay

killay Registered

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE SOMEONE ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS? DAMNIT......
    I PAID FOR A HOST, SO I DISERVE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kosmo

kosmo Well-Known Member

Did you transfer your account? I can not load your domain. Also notice that you have to use // instead of \\. The web is not DOS.

Eg, use:
    http://bion-community.com
    instead of:
    http:\\bion-community.com

However your domain does not seem to resolve, so I am not sure how you could get a directory listing.

Also, you may contact your host for general hosting support. This is the cpanel support forum and while people here are kind and helpful, there is no warranty nor obligation for general support here.

kosmo

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I really get annoyed when people are given the impression from their host that this is THEIR support forum. It makes people think they are SUPPOSED to get help here FAST.

THIS is a cpanel forum, for ANY hosting providers or end users who USE cpanel, and ALL assistance here is 100% voluntary.

If someone who's been here long enough to know this were to give that message, I WOULD NOT answer, but you're new here so probably think this is your hosts support forum and you were hoping they would jump in with an answer.

Now for the answer.

Linux is case sensative. index.html and Index.html are 2 different pages. By default, if index.html, index.htm, index.php, and a few others, exist, they are shown automatically. All default pages are lower case though. Your page is called Index.htm which is not in the default listing so you get a list of files instead. Rename Index.htm to index.htm and it will be fixed.

6. PWSowner

Also, your main image isn't showing at the top of the page due to case sensativity.

The image is said to be at
    http://bion-community.com/Images/Index/Banner.jpg
    but you images directory is called images, not Images, so you will need to either rename the directory, or the path to it.

Case sensativity is one of the biggest issues we have with our clients having problems with their sites. On a Linux server, a is not the same as A. Our general rule is to always use lower case unless it's something that is supposed to be capitalized.

7. killay

killay Registered

thx, and I'm really sorry for my impatiency... but it's just that it's my first time I bought a host and I really wanted it to be directly functioning. :) sorry....
    And thx again

8. PWSowner

It's not a problem. There are just so many hosting "companies" out there now who don't help their clients. They just send them here as if this was their board.

This is entirely volunteer help so the best way to get help is to learn how to be on other users good side. ;)

Posters who start getting nasty, always get ignored.