Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

infected files in virtfs

Discussion in 'Security' started by jlewis504, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jlewis504

jlewis504 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A recent security scan showed that I have infected files in the virtfs folder. As I understand simply removing the files is not an option as any files that are mounted to the file will also be removed and will create an even bigger issue. My server provider recommends a complete rebuild of the OS. This is not something I want to do. I have used clamav for the security scan and below is a copy of some of the results. How do I determine if this could be a false positive and what options do I have other than rebuilding the OS for removal?

home/virtfs/savanaux/usr/local/cpanel/cpaddons/cPanel/Blogs/WordPress/upgrade/4.5.3_4.6/diff: Win.Exploit.CVE_2016_7282-3 FOUND

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Does the scan show the same result for the /usr/local/cpanel/cpaddons/cPanel/Blogs/WordPress/upgrade/4.5.3_4.6/diff file outside of the virtfs path?

You can also review the following documents for instructions on how to remove a user's jailed shell environment:

VirtFS - Jailed Shell - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.