The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

initial nameserver setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by danok, Dec 20, 2001.

1. danok

danok Member

Hi,

First time with WHM so please bear with me :)

I am trying to setup the name servers and when I click on the Initial Nameserver link and then click on the OK button under Enable Nameserver, the following page appears:

Results of your request

Name Server Activated
    Activating nameserver monitoring
    Stopping chkservd: [ OK ]
    Starting chkservd: [ OK ]
    Starting Nameserver
    Attempting to restart bind
    bind status named not running.

bind started ok

And then that\'s it, nothing else happens. Where do I enter my primary & secondary name servers?

Thanks.

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

That is in the initial setup of your WHM... its the settings you enter after you agree to the licensing/copyright details at the very beginning. If you want to tweak that now, just log into WHM and look at the \"Edit Setup\" option on the left- that will take you to a screen in which you can modify your nameserver details.

Good luck.

:D

3. danok

danok Member

When I go to Edit Setup, there is the Master Nameserver field and two Secondary Nameserver fields (plus a few other fields such as Master Cluster). Is the Master Nameserver the Primary Nameserver?

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

That option is to be used to specify the primary nameserver IF (as it explains), the primary nameserver resides on a machine that is NOT the machine in which you are working on now. :D

So if your primary nameserver is another box besides the one you are logged into via WHM, then put that machine\'s IP in the master nameserver setting, and then you can begin the battle of getting that machine to accept zone additions from your cpanel box.

Fun.

5. danok

danok Member

Okay then, so where do I setup my primary & secondary nameservers then?

6. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

In that same screen ::

Essentially that just prepares cpanel for the creation of zones that match up with your primary and secondary servers you specify there, it doesn\'t really specify WHERE the nameservers are, just names the hostnames for the building of zones on the server, or the propagation of them to another machine in which you establish *TRUST* with.

Primary Nameserver:
    Enter the hostname of the primary nameserver (normally, the name of this server) you wish to use when creating new domains or subdomains.

Examples: ns.myhost.com, ns1.myhost.com, dns1.mydomain.com
    Secondary Nameserver:
    Enter the hostname of the secondary nameserver you wish to use when creating new domains or subdomains.

Examples: ns.myhost.com, ns1.myhost.com, dns1.mydomain.com
    :D

7. danok

danok Member

Below are all the fields on the Edit Setup page. As you can see, there is no Primary Nameserver field. Am I missing something?

Master Cluster Server:
    Enter the IP address of the master cluster server which contains information for the cluster this server belongs to (Optional).

Server Contact\'s E-Mail Address:
    Enter an e-mail address you can be reached at in case a problem arises with this server.

Server Contact\'s Pager Address:
    Enter an cellular phone or pager e-mail address that can be messaged in case a problem arises with this server.

Enter an ICQ user identification number you can be reached at in case a problem arises with this server.

Secondary Nameserver:
    Enter the hostname of an additional secondary nameserver you wish to use when creating new domains or subdomains. (Optional)

Secondary Nameserver:
    Enter the hostname of an additional secondary nameserver you wish to use when creating new domains or subdomains. (Optional)

Master Nameserver:
    Enter the hostname or IP address of a primary nameserver (if this is not a primary nameserver.) that domain and subdomain updates should be sent to. If you turn this option on you will turn this server into a slave server. A trust key relationship must be established beforing entering the hostname (Optional).

8. danok

danok Member

Does anyone know how to help me fix the problem I am experiencing? I have tried contacting Burst.net and they haven\'t got back to me yet. I don\'t understand why certain fields are appearing in the Edit Setup page, most notabally the Primary & Secondary nameserver fields.

Any help is welcomed!

9. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Dude I have no idea....
    I have those fields on every server I have ever touched, right under the \"Apache log style\" option area.

I would apply the latest layer1 that is available for the operating system on the server in question, and then /scripts/upcp, and then /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel3 restart

Peace.... best wishes. :cool:

10. danok

danok Member

Well I don\'t even have the \"Apache log style\" field. I contacted Burst and they said to use the Master Nameserver as the Primary Nameserver, but it doesn\'t work when I try to setup an account. It produces the following error message:

Missing NS Config Line in /etc/wwwacct.conf

11. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I think you can find the nameserver settings under \"Edit Setup\" that\'s where you will find the \"Apache Log\" format stuff as well.

Never mind I see what you are saying.sorry can\'t help you there. :(

[Edited on 12/26/01 by rpmws]