iLLuSi0nS

Jun 9, 2007
Hi, i just had a VPS installed with cpanel and centOS 4.

Is there a thread or a knowledge base where i can go to and read up on some initial setup stuff. Like how to create a rDNS? what is SuExec? what is Exim? Whether to use mySQL 4.1 or 5?
I have 5 ips given to me, i have one main site, and like 10 client sites that could all use the same IP, so how should i configure the arrangement of the IPS. which ips should be the nameservers and the dns?

My WHM has detected 41 possible trojans, i have read that the WHM detector is crap and to use rkhunter and chkrootkit, but how do you exactly use those? do i have to install the apps on my machine or are they prebuilt with it? and if they are what command do i use?

Can someone atleast tell me a few quick things to do that is a given and should be done when purchasing or building a new machine. A few tweaks, or a few quick patches for security and such. It would help a lot

Thanks in advance. Im even willing to pay a little bit through paypal if someone is nice enough to pimp out my box a little bit. Thanks

brendanrtg

Oct 4, 2006
There really quite a bit to do here for a new VPS and the settings are a little different than a server.

Other than the normal stuff, you might want to tweak it a little and a good place to start would be www.webhostgear.com

If you dont understand anything from www.webhostgear.com, then you had better engage someone to config and tune your VPS for you.

eNetHosts

Apr 21, 2007
Server is fully managed by host. Have recommended that poster contacts them to get them to tweak server and fix MX+DNS issues + install add-on firewall and secure server to specs.