The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inode search and detection (server kernel) hanging up machine

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bsasninja, Mar 23, 2012.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

After having 3 crashes today and checking /var/log/messages I see that there is a problem in some directory of the /home partition.

I runned smartd, badblocks and everything is ok. After my 2nd crash I updated cpanel to discard a corrupted cpanel system file on the machine. The update process was ok, after 20 minutes I watched the process repquota at 100% increasing the server load to the sky.

Booted the server again, and.

1) I removed some cpanel crons from the crontab list
    2) I renamed the repquota command at /usr/sbin/repquota to other thing, in case if its called again nothing happens.

This gives me time to work and see a solution to this. At /var/log/message the same error before each crash is showed:

server kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda8): ext3_lookup: unlinked inode 68518001 in directory #68517945

ok this error repeats 5 times with different inodes but in the SAME DIRECTORY #.

So in my opinion its some user folder with unaccurate group or owner permissions. Is there a way with a command to see to which directory belongs that number????
    If that is the case I can check quickly the suspicious folder causing all this mess.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Presumably you've fixed this long ago; but just for the sake of the record here that can't be due to ownership "problems", as described.

It sounds more like a file system corruption issue, and the way to fix it would be to run an fsck as soon as possible (as such corruption tends to get worse). This sort of corruption can occur without bad blocks or smart errors. An unlinked file is always a serious problem. In fact, it can sometimes be caused by a crash, though why it wasn't resolved by the auto-fsck during the boot process is something I'm not sure about.