The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insatll Exif support in php?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by simplybe, Apr 30, 2003.

1. simplybe

simplybe Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to enable exif in php, don`t seem to be able to see it anywhere.

Thanks

2. TogaDave

TogaDave Well-Known Member

I'd be really interested to know this too!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. aress24x7

aress24x7 Member

Compile php with --enable-exif .

This will enable exif support in php.
    I have done this myself and it works :)

4. TogaDave

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to begin. You see, the reason I use WHM/Cpanel is because it's the only way I know how to administrate a server remotely. I depend on the automated scripts and features to keep everything running right and do what I need to do. I don't see anything in WHM or Cpanel that says "compile PHP with exif", so naturally I'm not sure what to do. So that leaves me with 2 questions:

A) Would it be possible for someone to tell me how complicated it is to do this?

B) If I were to learn how to compile PHP with exif now, and then next month run my usual /scripts/easyapache and other Cpanel/WHM updates, will it somehow over-write the exif compiled PHP and make me start from scratch?

Thanks for any/all info.

5. aress24x7

aress24x7 Member

easyapache does not come with exif support.
    You will have to enable exif support in the build apache script.

It is very easy:

Instead of executing the easyapache directly download the buildapache.sea from http://layer1.cpanel.net/.
    Then after chmoding the file to 755 execute it with your required options.
    When the scripts is completely executed it will create a folder named "buildapache"

In this folder there is a script named "buildscript"

In this buildscript you will just have to add "--enable-exif" in the lines where php configuration is specified. There are 4-5 lines where you will have to add the above text.

Execute the buildscript now.

This will compile php with exif support.

If you are not able to do it then attach the buildscript here.
    I will modify and send it. :cool:

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  7. TogaDave

Wow aress24x7, thank you for the very helpful reply! I think I understand most of it, but I'm a bit afraid to try it myself the first time. And thanks very much for the offer to mod the buildscript. I'd really like to take a shot at this myself, so even though this means I'm going to have to show everyone how little I know, I'm going to post some questions to elaborate on what you have taught me so far. I hope people aren't laughing too hard at me, I'm really trying hard to learn :eek:

OK, since I'm working on an XP machine at home, and administer my server remotely, my question regarding that part is this:

Once I have downloaded the buildapache.sea file to my PC, where should I upload it to my server?
    Do I FTP in to root and just place it anywhere, and the CHMOD it there?

Really stupid question, how do I "completely execute the script"? :eek:

OK, I'm pretty sure I feel confident enough to edit the buildscript file in notepad and add the "--enable-exif" line in the proper place, but once again a dumb question - how would I then execute the buildscript? SSH in to root and the type in "/scripts/buildapache/buildscript" ?

And one final question - when it is time for me to update Apache again (which seems to be needed often to remain secure) do I just go through this process again, and should I never again use "/scripts/easyapache"?

Once again thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to answer about this, I really do appreciate it. It is helping me learn and also helping me hopefully solve a problem that really needs to be addressed in order to help my partner and I stay with our dedicated box together.

8. TogaDave

*bump* just in case anyone has a minute to address my last post, thanks.

9. aress24x7

aress24x7 Member

Hi again,

You do not need to download the buildapache.sea to your computer.
    Rather you can go to the http://layer1.cpanel.net/ and then copy the shortcut for buildapache.sea and then wget it to your server.
    You can put it in any directory you want .
    After downloading it simply chmod it to 755 and execut it as ./buildapache.sea

After that execute the buildscript as ./buildscript.

:)

10. ckizer

ckizer Well-Known Member

"There are 4-5 lines"

I don't mean to be an ass but there are about 500 lines in here. EXACTLY WHICH 4-5 LINES?????

I mean even searching for "--with-" returns like 100 results. WHERE EXACTLY (give me a specific search string" should I add this in?

11. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Alternatively using WHM . . .

You can easily compile PHP with Exif though WHM. I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested this (unless everyone else knows something I don't).

WHM > Software > Update Apache

This lets you rebuild Apache and also compile PHP at the same time. You get a whole load of checkboxes to select what you want. If you've already tried this, take a look again as the option for Exif is there as I've done this myself.

Firstly, click [Load Previous Config] to ensure that you load the previous settings.

Just below the checkbox for "PHP Module (version 4.3.3)" are all the PHP options. There is simply a checkbox named "Exif". If this is checked PHP will be compiled with Exif support.

If you don't have this option, the version of WHM/Cpanel you have may not be up-to-date enough. If you defintely don't see the Exif checkbox, just say so and mention what version of WHM/Cpanel you're running.

12. hjunior

hjunior Member

I tried to do this to use a special configure option, but when I executed buildapache.sea it did all the work (configured, rebuilt apache, rebuilt postgres, stoped and started apache). Ti seems like buildapache.sea calls buildapache/buildscript itself. Is that correct? Is there a way it only creates the buildscript without executing it?