The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insert header into message then forward on to address within my domain?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doni49, Oct 16, 2010.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I have a number of email forwarders set up. They all forward to either email1@mydomain.com or email2@mydomain.com.

I need to figure out a way to insert a header into the messages that ID which of these accounts the message went through and then forward messages from both accounts on to the final destination.

My email client will look at the headers and messages sent thru email1 will trigger an alert. Messages sent thru email2 will not trigger an alert. Any forwarders config'd to route thru email1 will be given to VIP contacts--messages they send me, I want to know about immediately such as a potential employer (jobs@mydomain.com is on my resume and will be routed thru email1). Messages sent to any forwarder that routes thru email2 an be dealt with whenever I get around to them--for example notice from my bank that my estatement is ready.

I had thought about making email1 and email2 forwarders that pipe messages to a PHP script and having the script insert the header. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to forward the messages on to the destination address.

Of course, if anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'm open to any other ideas too.

TIA!

2. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions? Any cPanel people support staff out there?

3. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any new ideas on this.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not actually sure entirely how to accomplish what you are wanting to do. Due to the complexity, I'm going to suggest posting onto the exim mailing list at Mailing lists for Exim (please select exim-users one) for assistance. They are typically very helpful provided you give good details in the initial inquiry.

5. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check that out. But I am a shared hosting user. Is Exim access generally provided to shared hosting users?

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Some components are available to you such as user level filters being within /home/username/etc/domain.com/emailuser location (where username is the cPanel username, domain.com is the domain name, and emailuser is the email account name), but many other components aren't within your account to configure. You would want to take this up with your hosting provider first.