The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inserting gmail Feedback-ID into forwarded mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by vikins, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

I've been reading this information from Google about their version of a feedback loop (which is not the same as AOL or Comcast might define it). Take a look:

Feedback Loop - Gmail Help

I have no need to use this for specific email campaigns as they are suggesting, but I'd rather use it as a way to track email that gets forwarded to gmail by cPanel end users.

We allow customers to forward mail that comes into their hosted domains out to their gmail or other existing accounts if they wish. This can sometimes cause issues if too much junk is forwarded. Greylisting and other methods that help to cut down junk mail have kept this in the mostly controllable range. But here and there the volume of inadvertently forwarded spam ruffles the feathers of some computer at Google and we an IP temporarily rate limited. This results in some unhappy customers.

What I'd like to do is insert a header into forwarded email for tracking purposes. What I am unsure about off the top of my head is if the mechanisms used by cPanel to forward mail ever expose the mail to processing at this level?

If the Feedback-ID tag and some dynamic parameters (something that can identify which cPanel user account the mail had passed through) could be inserted in forwarded mail then Google's own Feedback Loop system could help target problem cPanel accounts, those that are passing an unacceptable amount of forwarded spam.

I am sure there are other ways to approach this, but I just wanted to put this out there and see what other thought about it.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's likely possible to create a custom Exim rule that adds an extra field to the message header. However, have you considered turning on "Enable Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) Support" under the "Mail" tab in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Basic Editor"? This option rewrites sender addresses so that the email appears to come from the forwarding mail server. This allows forwarded email to pass an SPF check on the receiving server.

Thank you.

3. vikins

vikins Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info, I will test this feature. Any downside?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's no specific downside unless the intended purpose of the feature is not what you are looking for:

Thank you.