The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Apache in different folder than: /usr/local/apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by gamingaccess, Oct 5, 2009.

1. gamingaccess

gamingaccess Registered

How do I use easyinstall in order to compile apache to

/usr/local/apache.working?

I want to compile to a different folder

I want to install 2 copies of apache

1) /usr/local/apache
    2) /usr/local/apache.working

I want the 2 copies to run independent from each other (not at the same time).

So, if I want to upgrade apache, and there are problems, I can use the other copy of apache in the mean time

if I compile apache by hand, I can surely have 2 or more copies of apache in the same machine (for instance, apache.prefork, apache.worker)

I really like easyapache, and I want to use that script from cpanel in order to compile apache in 2 different directories

Please help me since I just can't afford to have my site down, I recently upgrade to apache 2.2 and my site has been down for 2 days, if I would have 2 copies of apache this wouldn't happen

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    2 days? Ouch. You should have been able to do a dry run first to be sure all would go well. You might want to contact cPanel for some help to get it going again. EA3 is setup to help prevent any down time and can be rolled back quickly enough. It also does create a full working backup before rolling you a new one.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

First, you apparently missed the option in EasyApache to restore your original configuration should the build fail for any reason.

Second, upgrading to Apache 2.2 is ridiculously simple with or without EasyApache and though some users might not be experienced enough to get through the upgrade themselves, how in the world have you been down for two days? Why not restore or rebuild your original configuration if the Apache 2.2 didn't work for you on your own?

I certainly wouldn't leave the server sitting dead for two days! :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you want a hand going to Apache 2.2 then I would be glad to give you an open hand with that and that is one that I wouldn't worry about billing you for. Just glad to help out. I was the one who was hired by several hundred different hosts to upgrade Cpanel servers to Apache 2.0 almost three years before Cpanel started offering the ability to do the same from EasyApache so let's just say I have a "wee bit" of experience where as it comes to upgrading Apache. ;)

4. gamingaccess

gamingaccess Registered

Well, I can build apache now, but I can't build modsecurity

I will try again, thanks for the tips