The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Clean Box (Which O/S & RPM's?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cbservers, May 14, 2003.

1. cbservers

cbservers Member

I have just purchased a Cpanel/WHM licence, I've done a crash course in Linux and I need to setup a server from scratch.

I've seen the list of supported software, (redhat, Mandrake & FreeBSD) but I can't find any explanation of which features should be installed with them.

Not wanting to install unecessary utilities that will eat up resources, I am trying to find out how to get the best performance out of it, without reducing reliability or security.

So,
    Which OS is the best for Cpanel? (and version)

What are the bare bones RPM's that should be installed? I assume that all required RPM's would be installed by Cpanel.

(a side note: I bought the Cpanel licence from XXXXXXXXX two days ago and still have heard NOTHING from them, from comments in this forum it sounds the Norm!)

2. WeMasterz5

WeMasterz5 Well-Known Member

I have installed WHM/Cpanel on 2 boxes, using RedHat 8.0 had no prolems at all with either one, during the redhat install, when I got to the packages to be insalled, I unchecked everybox to have redhat just do a clean plain text install, I know others here may say something else, but this worked for me and the first box with 50 sites have been running great for 4 months now

oh...and on your side note, I dunno..I got my cpanel right from cpanel

3. sitehostz

sitehostz Well-Known Member

Hello,
    We have used Both RH 8.0 and RH 7.3. RH 8.0 has alot of bugs that were never fixed and now they have moved on to RH 9.0.

We recently had carious problems and the cpanel staff was in our 8.0 servers almost daily fixing various issues that seemed to cause alot of bugs in cpanel.

All of our new servers are running RH 7.3 and all is well. We e finally have the most stable cpanel servers that we have ever had as of yet and this is great as it cuts down on our support issues as well.

Remember to upgrade the kernels no matter whoch version you install.

Hopet his helps,
    Chris