The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install hangs at Waiting for Perl modules to install...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by prodiac, Jul 2, 2004.

1. prodiac

prodiac Member

Okay this is becoming an absolute pain in the neck.

First I started with Fedora Linux Core 2, on a Dual Xeon 2.6ghz, 2GB RAM, 80GB IDE Boot Drive, 2 x 200GB SATA drives mirrored with software raid .. the Cpanel install went through fine, but after It was online and I was going to the initial steps in WHM, the server kept crashing at Initial Quota Setup.

So I decided to wipe the server and install without using raid .. I just had the 200gb SATA drives mounted as /home and /homemirror, I planned on using Rsync. When I tried to install (over and over several times this happened), the install kept hanging at Waiting for Perl modules to install...

So again, I decided to wipe the server, and go with Fedora Core 1, instead of Fedora Core 2.

Now I am stuck with the same exact issue. It hangs at Installing perl modules .. This first install of Cpanel is really frustrating me, and we're planning on a whole lot of licenses if we can get this to go well .. But if I am going to be having this problem every time ......

Anybody know how to get past this issue? I am installing "latest" version

Thanks.

Chris Eastman
    SplitInfinity Networks, Inc.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you log a support request with cPanel to help you out:
    https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/index.cgi?support=1

I can only think of a couple of things that could be causing problems:

1. You must use a minimal server installation of the OS.

2. Make sure that you shutdown any firewall until you're up and running incase cPanel is trying to communicate over a port that you may have blocked.

Btw, have you considered using CentOS over Fedora, might be better in a production environment since it is essentially RHE3?
    http://www.centos.org

3. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I've noticed the same thing on RH 9 and RHEL 3. I figure it's trying to install something that requires user intervention of some sort - but, since there's no output during the process, it's impossible to tell what that might be. My workaround is to look at the process list and kill off the second makefile process (since there's usually two configure/make combinations in the list). From there, the installation continues normally. YMMV, but might be something to look at.

4. prodiac

prodiac Member

Thanks for that suggestion, I will do that if it happens again!

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

hit the return key...

done

6. Eric Martello

Eric Martello Member

Same problem here. Pressing enter doesn't help. May try typing "y" then pressing enter? I don't know, just thought of that after seeing this thread.

Eric

7. challii

challii Well-Known Member

This worked for us...

modify your /etc/resolve.cnf (or whatever it called) so it points to some valid nameservers... should work then.

8. kejome

kejome Registered

Patience ?

I thought i had the same problem as i expected that it would go pretty fast on the duall 2400 mhz processors.

After waiting for an hour I went to bed as it was late when i started the install.

Next morning i found out that it did install all perl modules but it took about 5-6 hrs to complete the whole process.

I hope this is your problem too , although i never found out why it took so long.

9. binaer

binaer Well-Known Member

Hi,

try to hit "ctrl + c".