Install HTTP/2 - DSO To FCGI install issues?

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am currently running:

Code:
mod_mpm_prefork
mod_mpm_itk
php70-php
I want to use the HTTP/2 module but the Apache developers, as of Apache 2.4.27, have disabled HTTP2 when using the prefork MPM. Since I have lots of free RAM, I would like to use Fast CGI as my PHP handler along with the Worker MPM:

Code:
mod_mpm_worker
mod_proxy_fcgi
mod_http2
I have many files and folders set by default to 755 and owned my the cpanel user. If I provision the above will it will be a straight switchover from DSO to FCGI or am I likely to encounter lots of 500/.htaccess and permission errors? If so, are there any scripts which automate the process of changing permissions?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @monkey64

I have many files and folders set by default to 755 and owned my the cpanel user. If I provision the above will it will be a straight switchover from DSO to FCGI or am I likely to encounter lots of 500/.htaccess and permission errors?
Yes, you are likely to encounter permissions issues if all files/folders are using 755

If so, are there any scripts which automate the process of changing permissions?
We have no native function to do this but we do have a forum post that goes over conversion from DSO to suPHP as far as permissions changes which might prove helpful when you do attempt this.

Since I have lots of free RAM, I would like to use Fast CGI as my PHP handler along with the Worker MPM:
Rather than use mod_fcgid which is present in the EA4 experimental repo (please see our documentation here: PHP Handlers - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation ) have you considered using php-fpm which is supported by cPanel?

monkey64

Nov 6, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In the end I went with PHP-FPM and the switchover went surprisingly smoothly with no permission / ownership errors. The only issue I encountered was a session permission error whenever a cookie was set in PHP. It's well documented and solved by changing:

Code:
session.save_path = "/tmp"
in the PHP ini editor, then restarting the PHP-FPM service for Apache.

Thanks!

Reactions: cPanelLauren