install MariaDB instead of MySQL

Mar 11, 2014
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Is there a way to specify in the /root/cpanel_profile/cpanel.config file : install MariaDB10.1 instead of MySQL 5.6?

I know there was an option in cpanel.config for: mysql-version and you could do it there but that has been deprecated in favor updating /var/cpanel/rpm.versions.d/local.versions with that information.

I know, from the CLI, you could do
Code:
whmapi1 start_background_mysql_upgrade version=10.1
and that would upgrade SQL from my default to MariaDB 10.1 but I'm trying to avoid the extra step.

Question: does the /var/cpanel/rpm.versions.d/local.versions file get read in before cpanel install?

Endgame: I would love to specify which version of a SQL server I am installing by default - during cpanel install. How?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Is there a way to specify in the /root/cpanel_profile/cpanel.config file : install MariaDB10.1 instead of MySQL 5.6?
Hello,

You can simply add the following value to the /root/cpanel_profile/cpanel.config prior to starting the installation:

Code:
mysql-version=10.1
This will ensure MariaDB 10.1 is installed.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

The modification of /var/cpanel/cpanel.config as a means of manually upgrading the existing MySQL/MaraDB version on a system is deprecated, but that's not the same file as /root/cpanel_profile/cpanel.config. You can still use /root/cpanel_profile/cpanel.config to define the version of MySQL/MariaDB installed as part of the installation process.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I've opened internal case DOC-10246 with our Documentation Team to see if we can clarify that a little better. I'll update this thread with the outcome of the case once it's available.

Thanks!