The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install on functioning webserver

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by nommo, Oct 12, 2004.

1. nommo

nommo Member

Hey all,

I have had my own server colo'd, and have mandrake 9.2 running on there along with DBDNS, Apache 2 ADVX with virtual hosting, PHP, MySQL Max, Qmail, vmailmgr etc already running, configured and partially working through Webmin/virtualmin/usermin, but it is too high maintainance for my busy lifestlye (I am a linux n00b really, and rely on help from my l33t, yet busy friends ;-))

I am thinking of installing one of the popular CPs - and it seems that most end-users prefer CPanel, so I want to give it a go - but don't want to have to wipe my current OS.

I would like a nice migration process if possible, for the handful of domains I have hosted (mostly internal - not clients).

Is this going to be possible? (my man wants to do the install anyway - rather than get a company to install it for us, but at this stage it would be good to know if it will be a non-starter!)

Thanks in advance

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

No.

You can make backups of files and configuration data and then manually insert them (where compatible) into your cPanel configuration once it is completed, but I would not call that a nice migration.

3. nommo

nommo Member

SarcNBit: cheers for the advice... I am guessing it wouldn't take long to rebuild what I have in place currently, as long as I have a functioning CPanel install...

Has anyone tried doing an install over the top of Apache/MySQL, PHP, Qmail etc?

I get a slightly ominous feeling about all this ;-)

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The cPanel installation will destroy any existing web server, sql server, mail server that you have setup and install its own. That's why it is recommended to start with just a minimal server installation if you want to install it.

Generally, as SarcNBit said, it would be simply best to backup any web/mysql data. Install cPanel and then create the user accounts in WHM. You can restore their web data into the cPanel generated web space and upload mysql database contents into the cPanel generated mysql database structure. Messy, but there isn't really a prettier way.