The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install path for client data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fisheh, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Fisheh

Fisheh Registered

Hi, i cant for the life of me remember what file u edit to set the install path to search and install on any path starting with /home

Please can you point me in the correct direction

Many thanks

Rob

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Rob,

Could you provide details on what you are trying to install? I really am not clear what you need to edit at this point, so clarifying what you are installing would probably help.

Thanks!

3. Fisheh

Fisheh Registered

there is a config file, but i cant remember which one, that you can change a setting to install client data on extra hdd's using a search string. i just need to be reminded which one it is!

ie use hdd space starting with /home so it can install on /home, /home2, /home3

Thanks

Rob

4. Fisheh

Fisheh Registered

4. Setting up cPanel
    As far as setting up cPanel, there’s only one file you have to edit – /etc/wwwacct.conf.
    HOMEDIR : The location where all new user home folders will be created (/home by default)
    HOMEMATCH: Additional home directories that will also be used for new home directory creations – only takes one value, leaving blank disables.
    So, if you want to specify the partition/folder that all users are set up on, edit the HOMEDIR value and leave HOMEMATCH blank. If you specify a value for HOMEMATCH, cPanel will pick the partition based on which one has the most free space available.
    For example, if you specify “home” for HOMEMATCH, it will configure users in the following locations:
    /home
    /home* (/home2, /home3, etc)
    /anythingwith/home
    /usr/home

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All you need to do is have WHM > Basic cPanel/WHM Setup area > Home Directory Prefix option set to home. If it is set to home, then any partitions with home in them (/home, /home2, /home3) will be used and the partition with the most available space will be selected.

The partition has to be mounted for it to be chosen, though. The default is normally already set to home for that field, so it should already have been set up.

It's better to do it via WHM, since there's no real point to be directly editing that file.