The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Postgres Config Fails using PostgreSQL 9.1

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by brnase, Sep 11, 2010.

1. brnase

brnase Member

I just installed PostgreSQL 9.1 on my CentOS 4.8 server. I'm trying to get WHM to install the config file for the installation now, and it fails giving me the following error: "Failed to determine postgresql data directory"

I am running WHM 11.26.8. Any information about what's going wrong here would be helpful.

2. brnase

brnase Member

So some more information to maybe help. The default data directory starting with PostgreSQL 9.0 and going forward is /var/lib/pgsql/9.x/data

I see that with previous versions the default data directory is /var/lib/pgsql/data. I guess I don't know how WHM figures out this data directory, but one would have to assume that it uses the data directory parameter which was specified when starting the postgres service?

I searched everywhere and haven't found any plausible solution. Is it that this version of PostgreSQL may be too new and that WHM doesn't support it yet?

There are some great new features in 9.0 that I would love to take advantage of over 8.x versions, so I would appreciate any insight/help to get this solved!

3. brnase

brnase Member

Alright, since no one knows what to do, maybe I should ask the question, does anyone know when cPanel will support Postgres 9.x?

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What method was used to install PostgreSQL version 9.1?

5. brnase

brnase Member

Since it is a CentOS server, I used the yum install process. I was able to find the specific RPM at RepoView: PostgreSQL PGDG RPM Repository RPMS. I did do a symlink from /var/lib/pgsql/9.x/data to /var/lib/pgsql/data, and after trying the Install Config again, it gave me the error: "Failed to determine postgresql version: psql (PostgreSQL) 9.1alpha1 contains support for command-line editing"

Is it true that the current version of cPanel does not support Postgres 9.x?

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Availability of PostgreSQL version 9.0 "Final Release" was announced today, September 20th, 2010, as per the following news post on the official PostgreSQL web site: PostgreSQL: News: PostgreSQL 9.0 Final Release Available Now!

As I am not aware of any other requests for PostgreSQL 9.x I believe this would be a good feature request to help spur interest and initiate further discussions: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

Please be aware that PostgreSQL 9.1 is an alpha-quality, pre-release version and I would not expect this to be considered until it has at least become a release candidate and or has made its final release as stable.