The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazyshot, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Lazyshot

Lazyshot Member

I think I might be experiencing some trouble, for I have been installing cPanel for the past 4 hours. I have above and beyond all System requirements and am running on Red Hat 9. I don't see why it should take this long to install, because it states that it would only take from 10-70 minutes to install this puppy. I think something may be wrong. The dots just keep on going and going and going but never stops.

2. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Please post -where- in the install it seems to hang and any relavant error messages that may have appeared just before that point, and also ensure that your OS was installed as a minimum installation.

3. Lazyshot

Lazyshot Member

First of all, what do you mean as a minimum installation of the OS? And second of all, there were no errors at all that have occurred. It just seems to just keep on going and going.
    It prints out like this:
    "Installing...1......1x...2................................" and the dots continue forever!
    I have checked the logs and all it states is that it started at such and such time.

4. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Minimum install pretty much refers to nothing additional, no extra software, just the base installation of the OS, no 3rd party apps, etc. It can be very hard to diagnose conflicts in systems that have additional software installed in excess of the base installation.

As far as the dots, four hours is too long, and it almost definitely means a problem. It is good that there were no serious errors logged, but the point at which the process began to hang is just as important. Without knowing which step it was on when the "Installing......->forever" began, I personally wouldn't know where to point you to look for a problem, since CPanel installs a -lot- of stuff. I am not certain where to look to find what install step it was on, I just watch the system as it installs, and keep an eye on its progress.

Perhaps the real RH guru's here can help you with the limited info you provided?

5. Lazyshot

Lazyshot Member

Well I have installed it with all the options that come with it such as Apache, SSH, etc.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If it is still going after 4 hours, stop it and restart. You've probably picked up a slow mirror. If that doesn't help, log a support ticket with cPanel.

7. Lazyshot

Lazyshot Member

I have started it again and it just froze, and while I was checking the logs I saw this:
    "cPanel install started at: Sat Jul 30 01:32:12 2005!
    Stopping nscd: [FAILED]
    cPanel install started at: Sat Jul 30 04:59:25 2005!
    Stopping nscd: [FAILED]"

8. Lazyshot

Lazyshot Member

Please, I have yet to recieve a reply from anyone....I really need help....

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

As I have already said, you should log a support ticket with cPanel.