Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install SSL on an invalid domain cPanel account

Discussion in 'Security' started by altinix, Jan 24, 2017.

1. altinix

altinix Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I will explain my scenario below.
    On WHM we have two accounts each with different static IP addresses. Lets say example.com which is a valid domain (which we use for emails) and a fake or invalid domain example.com.uk which is does not resolve anywhere but we use it for the website. The domain example.com is pointed correcty using DNS toward the IP address of example.com.uk. So far so good.
    Lately, using AutoSSL on cpanel, the server has appointed a correct certificate to example.com, but not to example.com.uk (which does not resolve as a valid domain). What I want to achieve is: is there any workaround to use HTTPS toward this website: example.com.uk?
    PS. We have them on separate accounts (and IP addresses) on cpanel because emails and website are managed by different parties.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The domain name that doesn't exist is unable to receive a SSL certificate because it would not pass the domain validation process. Rather than using a fake domain, you should use a subdomain of the domain name that you own (e.g. development.domain.tld). This would allow it to pass SSL validation while still keeping it on a separate cPanel account.

Thank you.

3. altinix

altinix Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks Michael for the hint,
    but I wanted that SSL certificate to be "inhereted" or applied to domain.tld too; not only development.domain.tld
    like when I open https://domain.tld to be a SSL from a cPanel trusted CA.
    Currently with this setup it is a self assigned certificate to domain.tld

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The AutoSSL feature will issue signed certificates for both domain.tld and development.domain.tld, even if they are on separate cPanel accounts, as long as both domain names resolve to the cPanel server.

Thank you.

5. altinix

altinix Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please bear with me in this;
    when I try https://domain.tld it displays:

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
    This server could not prove that it is domain.tld; its security certificate is from development.domain.tld

(As I said earlier, both accounts are on separate IP addresses)

Running an AutoSSL Check on WHM on account: domain.tld it displays:
    Code:
    "The domain “www.domain.tld” failed domain control validation: The system queried for a temporary file at “<a href="http://www.domain.tld/26820.BIN_AUTOSSL_CHECK_PL__.yHVUnVMa.cpaneldcv">http://www.domain.tld/26820.BIN_AUTOSSL_CHECK_PL__.yHVUnVMa.cpaneldcv<"

...continued log...

but the web server responded with the following error: 404 (Not Found). A <abbr title="Domain Name System">DNS</abbr> or web server misconfiguration may exist. at bin/autossl_check.pl line 546.

#5 altinix, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here and we will update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.