The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation for Cpanel x86_64

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silversurfer, May 11, 2005.

1. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Hi

Does the install script at layer1.cpanel.net automatically install the x86_64 version of cPanel? We are running CentOS 4_64

WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82
    CentOS 4.0 x86_64 - WHM X v3.1.0

This looks like the 32bit version of Cpanel. How do I get the 64bit version to install? Any ideas?

2. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  3. silversurfer

Your post is useless and doesn't answer the question. Since you can't read, I am surprised you are going around insulting people.

Nick from Cpanel has confirmed that there's no separate installer for 64bit OS and it will auto-detect it.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

OK, calm down everyone :)

5. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

silversurfer ; could you please keep us updated regarding this specific install and if there is a significant performance increase running 64bit ?

6. paradoxic

paradoxic Member
    PartnerNOC

Any update on this? I have a new box I need to get live shortly with dual opteron raid5 SCSI. Any guidance or info would be appreciated.

Considering using centos4 64bit..

7. silversurfer

Ok. This is the low down schimmy on it.

1. Cpanel is pretty much a 32bit software.
    2. 32bit binaries are smaller than 64bit binaries and benchmarks (not by us) says that 32bit binaries run faster
    3. Unless you intend to use tons of memory, 64bit seems fairly limited currently as applications are not written to optimize for it. In Cpanel case, you would still be running 32bit binaries.
    4. The overall architectural improvements will help see performance gains for both Opterons and EMT64 enabled CPUs. In Opteron's case, the bus itself and more cache is a plus. For EMT64, the use of DDR2 etc helped performance
    5. For specific applications, you can see double the performance. Example the openssl speed tests. On a Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz, we see about 38,000 RSA 512bit verifies in the test. On 64bit Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz, it goes up to 88,000+ times. But such scenarios in real world is rare and far more scarce.
    6. You would have a lot of problems with Cpanel on CentOS 4_64. On running /scripts/easyapache, a lot of the modules hit errors and PHP wouldn't compile. At the same time, you start getting libxml and libexpat LD errors. Yum will stop running due to the library conflicts etc.. You can still do a custom compile of course. I managed to fixed it, but it does need some work.
    7. My Nagios remote monitoring plugin no longer works due to the different SSL libraries.
    8. Compilation is noticably quicker on a 64bit.

Currently I am still monitoring it to see how it runs. But I have been having crashes 2 days in a roll on heavy usage on PHPsuexec. So I may roll back that change.

CentOS 4 itself have a few incompatibilities with Cpanel which you have to watch as well.

#7 silversurfer, May 17, 2005
    Last edited: May 17, 2005
  8. gorilla

thanks for the info silversufer

9. silversurfer

No worries. We have extensive experience with CentOs 4 and now some with CentOS 4_64. Another point I have to mention is that on our Dell Poweredge 1850, we couldn't get CentOS4_64 installer to even load. It appears the initrd isn't gzipped like in the previous versions and we have to gzip it to make it work. Thereafter it works fine.

10. gorilla

been getting the exact errors as you described

libxml and libexpat LD errors , am getting one of the cPanel guys to have a look at it , although he mentioned and warned :

Code:
    Normally this falls outside the scope of the support that we offer, as such a change could be detrimental to other services on your system.
    However, if you would like, I can proceed with this installation. Please be aware that we can only provide limited support for this, or any issues that arise as a result of.  
    So lets hope we'll get some results without liabilities ! ;)

11. gorilla

Just to report back regrading this issue.

Stephen the cPanel support guy was very helpfull in fixing those issues and that little dual opteron monster is working fine now :D

BTW: Great support , was actually the first time I used the cPanel support over the last 2 years , and gotta say that it was very helpfull ;)

12. gorilla

seem to have problems with horde on this 64bit OS:

A fatal error has occurred
    Required 'Array' not specified in session handler MySQL configuration. The file /config/conf.php should contain a $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['Array'] setting.
    Details have been logged for the administrator.

any suggestions ?

13. gorilla

phpMYadmin is failing aswell!
    Still waiting for a response from the cPanel tech staff , unfortunatly this time they are taking a while to even acknowledge the issue, let alone responde in a acceptable time frame !

14. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

A warning to anyone thinking about moving to 64bit do not - it will basically kill your box. See other threads poping up now that more and more are running into huge issues with this "supported' version.

15. gorilla

yes , my new dual opteron 64 bit box is not a happy camper either ;)
    will have to move all the accounts onto a 32 bit OS :rolleyes: