The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mgballew, Aug 19, 2015.

1. mgballew

mgballew Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, my name is Matthew!

I have been using cPanel and WHM for a while now, and I love it. But yesterday I purchased my first VPS that did not come with cPanel installed. I purchased a licence, and went to work. I would like to apologize in advance for not knowing/making a rookie mistake. I am very new to this whole install business.

Before I begin to list my issues I am having, first a little backstory ;)

1. I registered matthewb.domain at name.com

2. I signed up for cloudflare! They took over my DNS, and all is good

3. I purchased a VPS at VPSDime. I set the hostname as s1.matthewb.domain

4. I pointed my root domain matthewb.domain at my servers IP

4. I registered two nameservers at name.com, and pointed them both to my server IP I received from VPSDime

Now I am at the install process. I SSH into the server, and begin the install. A couple of things happen. First, it says I have a bad domain, so I change the domain to matthewb.domain and continue the install. It continues without a hitch, and after the install is complete, I navigate to matthewb.domain:2087

And so my real story begins......

I login to WHM using my root username and password, and begin the setup.

After clicking on the "I accept/Continue" button in the first step of the install, I am logged out.

I log back in, and proceed to step two, where I enter my contact info, set the hostname as s1.matthewb.domain, and set BOTH resolvers to my servers IP.

I hit Continue

Get logged out again -__-

When I log back in, the screen is a garbled mess. Non-loaded pictures are breaking up text everywhere, and somewhere amongst the confusion I can make out the words "You config could not be saved" and given to option to go back or continue

I hit go back

I get logged out again

I log back in, and presented with a very garbled step 2 page. I can see that my contact information and resolvers are the same, but my host name is just s1 instead of s1.matthewb.domain

I change s1 to s1.matthewb.domain, and hit continue.

I get logged out

I log back in. And I am presented with the same error page as before, and hit continue.

I get Logged out

I log back in. I see the IP setup page, which is intact. I verify that is my IP, and hit continue.

I get logged out

I log back in. Now I a presented with the nameservers page. I keep BIND, and scroll down. In the area where I select my nameservers, it has autofilled in ns1.domain (not matthewb.domain, just domain)

As I scroll down further, to the area where you set your nameservers A records, and your host A record, I notice that on the left it still says ns1.domain instead of my full domain.

I hit continue, and presented with an error code from chrome, saying that do_validate is not defined. What?

So this is the furthest I have gotten. Any questions regarding my DNS setup, or if I am seeing things can be directed at this forum post. All help is GREATLY appreciated.

Oh and they only way I can access the WHM is if I got to matthewb.domain:2087 When I try to to go to s1.matthewb.domain:2087 my browser redirects to just s1:2087

#1 mgballew, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You should not set your resolvers to your server's IP address. It should be resolver IP addresses provided by your data center or public resolvers from companies such as Google (e.g. 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). You can correct this in the /etc/resolv.conf file. I suggest proceeding with the initial setup and updating the name servers after this is finished.

Thank you.

3. mgballew

mgballew Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, well I cannot complete the install due to the do_validate error, and the fact I am logged out constantly.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. mgballew

mgballew Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, that is running. But I am still getting logged out constantly. I completely rebuilt the server and reinstalled cPanel, and still having the same issue.

cannot get past step 4 in the install because of this "ReferenceError do_validate is not define

Okay, the script you had me run is done. Said that update is complete. Still having so many issues, cannot complete install, being constantly logged out even with different browser, now I cannot loging using root user and password.

#5 mgballew, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are several potential causes for this type of issue. Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I've been unable to locate a support ticket for this issue. Were you able to open a support ticket or address the issue through another method? I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To update, it looks like the user never opened a support ticket for this issue. However, for others who face this problem, another instance of a similar error suggests a network connection issue between the end-user and the server.

Thank you.