The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bradm2k, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bradm2k

bradm2k Registered

Hi there,

Been attempting to test out cPanel for one of my clients but have run into a problem when installing.

During the install process of cPanel (sh latest), the machine become incredibly slow to the point that its almost unresponsive. If the screen saver kicks in, I'm pretty much locked out of the system and have to reboot. If I turnoff the screen saver, along with hibernation, basically the install will run fine for 30-45mins then the machine comes to a halt. If I move the mouse around, the text on the terminal will start displaying really fast but I cannot click on any menu's or really use the system as I have to keep moving the mouse for the machine to respond. I have tried installing via an SSH connection which provided the same problem only that the SSH terminal responded just fine, the machine itself was incredibly slow. When I reboot the machine everything is back to normal.

I've now installed cPanel on two completely different servers, using CentOS 5.2 64bit and 32bit, along with that latest version of RedHat. First server is an IBM x346 Intel Xeon based machine with 2Gb of RAM. The second server is a generic AMD Opteron based with 2Gb of RAM on an Asus KFN32-SLI D board. Everytime the cPanel installation messed up, I would wipe the machine clean and start all over again. I have tried base OS installs, turning of the Firewall and SELinux features, but no change.

Yes, the installs do complete, although I have to move the mouse around for a VERY long time to find out that it did complete, and I can log into cPanel and everything SEEMS to be working alright. I do have reservations about deploying this to a client knowing what happens during the installation and not knowing if this is something that will happen during production after a few days.

Any help advise would be appreciated as I really want to get cPanel deployed for a few different clients.

Thanks!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

From your post it sounds like you're not starting with the correct OS installation. That is, you should perform only a minimal OS Server install without any X windows applications at all and use standard SSH connection to perform the installation process.

3. bradm2k

bradm2k Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I will give that a shot right now!

I was hoping to have the gnome, or whichever, desktop running in case someone else has to do maintenance on the server who isn't familiar with the cli.

Is there any issues adding a desktop gui to the machine once cPanel is installed?

Thanks again!