The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by num85, Oct 14, 2007.

1. num85

num85 Member

Hi,
    I recently purchased cpanel/whm for my dedicated server in the UK.
    It is running on Linux CentOS 5 and more than meets the minimum requirements, the server was running 'matrix' control panel before.

When I navigate to the installed ip I get a message confirming installation of cpanel and whm, however I get error messages when I try to log in.
    I'm not too sure why this is, It may be because of clashes with the Matrix CP but am not too sure.

Has anyone dealt with this?

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

You dont mean Command Matrix, the windows CP do you?.

Anyway, was this Cpanel/WHM installed over an existing full install of another control panel that already had customers or domains?. Cpanel really should be installed on a clean box with just the fresh o/s as Cpanel will do tons of its own custom installations that might clash with existing stuff. Having several copies of the same program and different folder paths might cause all sorts of unpredictable issues during run time.

3. num85

num85 Member

no it is the Linux matrix which fasthosts gives, I asked my host to reinstall the OS without it but as they are using an image file they said they couldn't.

I cant think of a way around this.

4. num85

num85 Member

Further to my previous post, here is the advise that my host gave me regarding removing the Matrix control panel. To be honest I don't know how to do it.

5. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If it's an image then they likely did a FULL install of the control panel on the O/S first and it's customised for that. If you did the Cpanel install on top of that install you are likely going to have issues even if you can figure out how to uninstall Matrix.

Cpanel really does a TREMENDOUS amount of custom work when it installs and its very different from a generic 'LAMP' install you might do yourself.

6. num85

num85 Member

I may have to install the OS myself from scratch without the CP, does anyone know if its possible to do this remotely via SSH? I will be installing linux.

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It is possible, if you have KVM and somebody, at the DC, swapping "OS" CDs for you ;)

Find a different host.

8. McPhil

McPhil Active Member

To turn off Matrix Control Panel (fasthosts internal custom HORRIBLE control panel) login to root via SSH (putty, privateshell, und so whitter...). At the command prompt type:

#rpm -q matrixsa

This will tell you the version of Matrix Control Panel that is install. Right down the version as you will need to type it in a moment or cut and paste it if using an editable shell.

Now type:

#rpm -e matrixsa-version

Where -version equals your matrix version, example might be matrixsa-2-5.9.2n

Now if you type #rpm -q matrixsa again, you'll note the matrix control panel is not installed (turned off). In my hands the only way to turn Matrix control panel back on is to reinstall the server through fasthosts kluncky server install client.

Once you turn off matrix control panel with the method above you will still have to shell into your /etc/sysconfig/iptables and open the cpanel, whm and license ports and save the configuration - found here - http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=92513. Once all this is done, whm and cpanel work a treat and you'll never be arsed with the HORRIBLE Matrix Control Panel again...

Cheers and I hope this helps someone. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here or PM me and I'll do me very best to help.

#8 McPhil, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008