The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by comptech520, Jul 31, 2012.

1. comptech520

comptech520 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Few questions:

After a fresh install of cPanel, I need to stop my IP tables for so I can access WHM, is this normal? If not, how is my way around this? What needs to be in my IP tables?

After a fresh install (with cPanel already being setup), what else should I do to my server?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you are using the default RedHat rules, then it won't have ports opened for cPanel/WHM/Webmail and several other important services.

Here is a list of the ports that need to be available:

Getting the most out of your system's firewall. | cPanel, Inc.

You might consider installing CSF for cPanel that would give you a WHM > Plugin listed to more easily manage the firewall. CSF will open the ports needed by cPanel. Here's a thread on installing CSF for cPanel:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f185/where-do-lookup-brute-force-attacks-243182.html#post1002822

Thanks!

3. comptech520

comptech520 Well-Known Member

So install cPanel on my bare bones Linux server, then CSF and installing CSF via SSH will open the ports automatically?

Thanks

4. CitizenK

CitizenK Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

CSF when first installed will be in a testing state. In this state you can configure the firewall to meet your exact needs. By default, CSF has a basic set of rules for cPanel services that should help you get up and running, however you will have to configure the firewall to fit your needs. Once you have configured the firewall you will need to take CSF out of testing mode.

In regards to configuring CSF, I would recommend reading the documentation that comes comes with CSF. It will be a readme.txt file in the directory you extracted the CSF archive. Also the thread above outlines the install process.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Yes, this is normal. After a new installation you will need to stop IP tables or create the rules to allow the ports trough the firewall as a default CentOS install will not have the ports added.

I recommend just to turn IPtables to get access back but you should not leave it off, better install a firewall or create the appropriate rules.