Installation Successful, DNS Issues

byon

Dec 18, 2004
Hi

As above, cpanel installation was successful!

Presently, the IP is done. I've settled on the name of the box.
I'm not the administrator incharge of the nameserver, what must be prepared on the nameserver side (trusted?), that cpanel box is allowed to manage its own subdomain's zone/subdomains through the nameserver.

E.g.,
cpanel.manical.com (box1)
ns1.manical.com (box2)
ns2.manical.com (box3)

Secondly, can i not assign email addresses to all accounts created, but just the ones i wish to give out to? Would there be any special configuration i need to set on the NS server?

Thanks
John

Last edited:

byon

Dec 18, 2004
Alright, its weird, why does the tutorial ask me to start named/bind when i dont need it on my cpanel box?

byon

Dec 18, 2004
bijo said:
Well; Don't you need the bind service in your cpanel box?. Do you have any other dedicated dns server?.
Yes. We have 2 dedicated dns servers, primary and secondary.

byon

Dec 18, 2004
bijo said:
Hello,

I strongly believe that, You should run named service on your cpanel box. Otherwise it will affect your mail service.
Hmm.. Can i remove mail services for all users except designated users? :eek: ``

serhathakan

Jul 2, 2005
what is "ssh" ?

5. Broken NDC/BIND
My version of WHM/CPanel came with a broken NDC. To fix this:

SSH into your box as root.

(a) Type: cd /scripts
(b) Type: ./updatenow
(c) Type: ./fixndc
from the adress you give

AndyReed

PartnerNOC
May 29, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
If you don't know what ssh is, I suggest you hire a sys admin to fix the problem you have with your server.

lankyb

Sep 21, 2004
Peterborough, UK
SSH --> Secure SHell, its bascially a command line interface to control your server.

I suggest you use a program called PuTTY, a very good and free SSH client. You can download it here: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe

When you start PuTTY, you will just need your server's host name, your root's username (simply 'root' 100% of the time), and your password. Once your in you can just copy and paste the code into the command console style window, and it will run it for you.

Last edited:

serhathakan

Jul 2, 2005
thank you for helping i easly connect ssh with putty but

i cant see fixndc command under script directory

how can i recover ndc?