The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Support Please (Eight Scrolling Dots)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayshah, Apr 16, 2007.

1. jayshah

jayshah Registered

Hi All,

Thanks to anyone who takes some timeout to help me.

I'm having a problem just installing cPanel, I seem to be getting stuck (around an hour into installation), with the screen just scrolling eight dots.

Screenshot:
    http://i12.tinypic.com/313m6c0.jpg (I've only blurred out the IP because the server has no security and I'm just paranoid)

I've got 1 GB Ram, and CentOS 4.2, if there's anything else you need, please ask.

Thanks for your time,

Jay

2. formadmirer

formadmirer Member

Not Unusual...

The scrolling dots just let you know that something is happening and the system hasn't locked up. Depending upon your hardware, connection speed, time of day, server load, etc. the dots could be there for quite a while - I've seen an install take 3 hours before! :eek:
    Just be patient and let the installer run it's course.

3. logikstudios

logikstudios Well-Known Member

The longest i have ever seen it install was 5 hours.

4. summat

summat Member

I am currently getting the same issue while trying to install the DNSONLY version of cpanel with Centos 4.4 AND FC5 on a spare box to run as a secondary DNS. I left one run going overnight (over 14 hours it ran) and it never finished, there was no activity (net, or hard drive) during the time after it hangs.

On closer inspection, I notice the same command hangs every time I get the installer stopping:

22126 pts/2 S+ 0:00 /usr/bin/wget -O /home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib [-] 1.42 [.] tar.tmp18034 http://hurricane.hinasu.net/CPAN/authors/id/P/PM/PMQS/Compress-Zlib [-] 1.42 [.] tar.gz

I have checked the CPAN repository and the file its after is on there. This has happened on two clean installs of CentOS 4.4 and one clean install of FC5, I am really at a bit of a loss at the moment.

5. mgphoto

mgphoto Active Member

Same issue with DNSONLY on CentOS 4.4 on 2 different boxes. Going on 4 hours each.

6. rikgarner

rikgarner Well-Known Member

There is a common bug between Centos 4.4 and the DNSONLY build - I had exactly the same issue about two months ago. The fix involves breaking out of the install <CTRL+C> , editing a couple of lines of code in one of the scripts, and then running and upcp --force.

I will see if I can dig out the instructions, but they are on the forums somewhere.

7. rikgarner

rikgarner Well-Known Member

OK - found what fixed it for me!

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=60888&highlight=DNSOnly

Either follow what is posted by mbdasco about half way down, alternatively, you could try manually installing Compress::Zlib

(As root)
    cpan Compress::Zlib

So, just to clarify:
    From a fresh (clean) server, run the DNSonly installer. When it gets stuck on the scrolling dots, break out of the installer with CTRL+C, patch cpcpan.pm as per the instructions from mbdasco in the thread above, or possibly try a manual install of compress:zlib, then run /scripts/upcp --force.

Thats what fixed it for me.