Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Installed AutoSSL But Browsers Show Error Due to Common Name.

Discussion in 'Security' started by pendias, Mar 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pendias

pendias Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I recently added two more addon domains to the total of 10 already added in cPanel, and ran AutoSSL to be installed. cPanel successfully installed Comodo autossl on both the addon domains however, browsers like chrome, firefox still gives privacy error and doesn't recognize the SSL. Further, I checked the installation at SSL Checker - SSL Certificate Verify and it shows 'Common Name' of the primary domain than of the addon domain. For example, it shows the 'Common Name' as primarydomain.com instead of addondomain.com when the autossl is installed on addondomain.com. Considering this might be the problem as to why the browsers are giving error, can you help me to resolve this issue and have the addondomain.com correctly listed as 'Common Name?'

Thank you in advance.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Can you reverify if the validation through AutoSSL worked an that SSL were installed on those domains properly?
    Please check the SSL host to see if the certificate is seen there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pendias

pendias Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You're right, I don't see the SSL installed when checked under Manage SSL Hosts. I deleted directory .well-known/ and tried re-installing it thrice, but no luck.

Can someone help me sort out this?

#3 pendias, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you browse to the "Logs" tab in "WHM >> Manage AutoSSL" and review the most recent log file for the account associated with those addon domain names? Let us know of any specific error messages you see in the output.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pendias

pendias Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Nope, there's no error generated for those addon domains as the SSL is getting installed. However, browsers still show warning, so I checked the two domains at https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html; it shows 'Common Name' that of the primarydomain.com rather than the addondomain.com on which the SSL is installed. Furthermore, I checked other domains on the server, and all have the 'Common Name' properly added of that particular domain on which autoSSL is installed, so the browsers like chrome, FF recognizes the SSL and give out no error.

Additionally, only error seen in "Logs" tab in "WHM >> Manage AutoSSL" is about subdomains of those two addon domains which is not a concern for me.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator