The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed cPanel and then refuse my root password in WHM and SSH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tRiTiO, Feb 21, 2015.

1. tRiTiO

tRiTiO Registered

Hello:

I'm trying to change my VPS provider, for this, yesterday i bought a new VPS in other provider that use OpenVZ.

Then I installed a clean "CentOS 6 64 bits" image from the VPS control panel and installed WHM-Cpanel using the commands: wget -N http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/latest - sh latest

I finished the installation, and then the configuration in the web interface (choose default daemons, IPs and nameservers and turn on CPHulk with default options).

Few minutes later i can't enter my VPS with root password in WHM or SSH. I can enter to WHM web interface to login and in SSH I try to enter as root but the password is refused and says "access denied". I'm pretty sure that my password is correct.

I try to connect using local machines (same IP) and using other virtual machines off this lan, to check if is a firewall problem and give me the same error "access denied".

I try to recreate other root password in VPS interface but didn't work too.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not being blocked by the firewall because I can send and receive PINGs and the SSH connection actually works but it refuses my password.

Is the second time that i suffer the same, the other time provided a VPS with KVM virtualization and have the same sintoms. Other virtualization and other provider, same problem, I not persisted the last time.

Do you have any idea about this issue?

Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's possible the "root" user was locked out by cPHulk brute force detection:

"WHM Home >> Security Center >> cPHulk Brute Force Protection"

It's documented here:

cPHulk Brute Force Protection

This includes instructions on how to whitelist your IP address and how to disable cPHulk via the command line.

Thank you.

3. tRiTiO

tRiTiO Registered

Hello CpanelMichael:

The problem is that CPHulk don't blocked my IP, i can access the login, but the user ROOT is disabled or blocked, the user, not my IP. I can login as root in SHH but refuse my password.

When suffered the issue, i try to connect in my home, and then use VPN and other virtual machines with others IPs to connect but all refuses the ROOT password. I think that disable the user ROOT for all IPs, no a specific IP... if possible that a system blocked ROOT user, not a specific IP or range of IPs, don't see the logic because can't access in WHM, SSH o serial console to disable CPHulk or whitelist my IP (is not listed before).

If possible that issue, have any solution to avoid that the ROOT user to be blocked?

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator