The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed CPanel, no Apache?

Discussion in 'Security' started by experthost1, Apr 21, 2004.

1. experthost1

experthost1 Member

I've just recently installed CPanel on a RH9 server which was just a basic install without Apache, Bind, MySQL, any mail program, etc... because CPanel has them all.

The install went fine except for during the Perl install where it seemed to freeze up on Net::Cmd install, although it later did an update and said Net::Cmd was OK.

Anyways, everything seems to be fine except there's no Apache at all! The service shows as failed, and restarting it says it can't restart Apache. I checked and /usr/sbin/httpd was a dead link. I've tried installing CPanel's apache from the buildapache.sea file, and then also tried 2 times via the Cpanel web interface. They all say the install goes through fine, but then it's still nowhere to be found!

I checked the RPM list and noticed that Bind and others show as installed, so I thought maybe I needed to install the RH9 httpd RPM to get CPanel's httpd to install/run. I installed that and still nothing - even after yet another compile/install attempt via Apache Update in the web interface.

What am I missing? Where should CPanel's apache end up?

2. Brio

Brio Member

You have to install cPanel over a default "Server" installation in RedHat, which does include Apache etc. cPanel then changes them itself.

You will probably be best doing a fresh RedHat install using the default "Server" option.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have never setup cpanel on anything but a clean box but have you tried running /scripts/easyapache to see if it will generate all the required files? I would think that it would work because it has to recreate most of the files but I have never tried it so not sure.

4. experthost1

experthost1 Member

I got it fixed - I noticed that there were 3 RPM's it was trying to install, but due to dependancies they were all failing since the install order was incorrect to get them installed.

They were X86Free-devel which first needed fontconfig-devel and pkgconfig. I installed them manually in the correct order (fontconfig-devel, pkgconfig, and then X86Free-devel). I also noticed that it was always trying to re-install some OpenSSL stuff, but I thought I had it all.

I checked my RPMs and noticed that up2date had installed a newer set of OpenSSL along side what CPanel was trying to load, so I removed those rpms, then removed httpd and PHP rpm's (which I had previously installed in an attempt to get things working). When I removed httpd, I then re-installed the package and noticed a bunch of warnings about files being renamed (old httpd package files weren't cleared out properly). So I removed the rpm and then manually cleared out any lingering files, then installed httpd once again.

After doing all that, Apache for CPanel finally installed properly.

5. katz_global

katz_global Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hosting from: Panama, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malays
    Generally a cpanel install hangs for us almost every time. Assuming you are doing it this way:

the easy way to install is:

change hostname to yours

hostname yourhostname.yourdomain.xxx
    cd /home
    wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/cpanel-universal-install.sea
    sh cpanel-universal-install.sea

===

now, if it hangs while running the above then you have to do the following:

rm -rf installd

then

start over and it always seems to work the second time around.

The most common timeout seems to be Perl.
    -

6. experthost1

experthost1 Member

Yes, I had my install hang during Perl - it was because a module trying to be installed detected itself already installed before and I assume the output wasn't what the CPanel install scripts were expecting (I have a post somewhere else about this). I was able to see the output in the log files generated during install.

Anyways, one thing to note when doing an install over top of an install (aside from deleting or moving the installd folder) is that the /etc/www<something> config file doesn't get overwritten, but appended to. This causes you to get "garbage" entries in it which you have to erase by hand. I don't know if they cause any problems, but it messes up the main config window when you look at it via the web.

7. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the cpanel installation stalls during a Perl module installation, then you can usually coax it forward. While it's stalled locate any processes like these
    Code:
    14252 pts/1 S 0:00 /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL   
    14254 pts/1 S 0:00 /usr/bin/perl Configure
    and kill them. It should proceed normally from there. After the install is complete, run upcp. It should locate any missing modules and install them the second time around.

We've been discussing a long term solution to this problem. I believe that if the inactivity timeout is set in the cPanel CPAN configuration, then it will kill these hung module installations and allow the process to proceed.

Regarding:
    I'm not sure what may be causing the inclusion of "garbage" characters (This is usually associated with a corrupted file system). This shouldn't present much of a problem though. If you go into WHM -> Edit Setup and configure your server as you should, then this file should be overwritten with the correct (and not corrupted) data. If it is still is a problem then I can only suggest submitting a support request so we can take a look.

8. experthost1

experthost1 Member

Yep that's exactly what I did. I made sure by tail'ing the install log that it wasn't doing anything, and killed the lowest process with a HUP and it gracefully exited and continued on. At the later stages of the install when it updates things, it got the module installed that it froze up on.

Not garbage characters as in something you'd see in a corrupted file, but rather duplicate entries (which are garbage, ie useless). When I went in to the web config area that uses that file, it displayed like 3-4 entry boxes for the IP, etc... Some fields were not duplicated (do you have protection against that?) but others were. I thought just hitting save again would fix it up, but it didn't. I had to go in and remove the duplicate entries (they had like [0] and [1] etc... at the end of the variable names due to the duplicates and how PHP handles them as an array item). Once I did that everything was fine.

9. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad to hear you got everything straightened out with relative ease. Another possible workaround is to zero out the wwwacct.conf file, then pull up the edit setup in WHM. Now you could just fill in the appropriate values. This worked on my test box.