AlaskanWolf

Aug 11, 2001
Fremont CA
server is running linux 7.1 with newly installed cpanel

server was from what i can guess pretty stable before cpanel was installed (i am GUESSING since it was only at NOC for 2 days prior to installing cpanel, for those 2 days, server never crashed at all)

last few nights, server has \"frozen\" in the middle of the night, all i get is the blicker, hard rebooting of course gives the fsck errors how you have to run it manually

logs dont give any clues on why it froze either, the same thing happened when layer1 of cpanel was done, it was at cleaning up temp files and froze there......

I also reverted back to the orginal kernel 2.4.2-2smp and going to run that for 24 hours to see if when i wake up, the server is not responding, if its not, then maybe hardware issue?

some things i pucked from the logs

Dec 28 16:46:31 localhost kernel: swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 00000050 (alot of them)
Dec 28 16:47:52 localhost kernel: <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address db12e894
Dec 28 16:47:52 localhost kernel: printing eip:
Dec 28 17:25:57 localhost kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks in system zones - Block = 18, count = 1

(FYI: server crash occured DEC 29th @ 4:30am...so those above are from previous day)

ADD: just reloaded 2.4.2-2smp kernel and no major errors on reboot, guess i will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it freezes or not....

[Edited on 12/29/01 by AlaskanWolf]

B

bdraco

[quote:c8c6ba2bfe]server is running linux 7.1 with newly installed cpanel

server was from what i can guess pretty stable before cpanel was installed (i am GUESSING since it was only at NOC for 2 days prior to installing cpanel, for those 2 days, server never crashed at all)

last few nights, server has \"frozen\" in the middle of the night, all i get is the blicker, hard rebooting of course gives the fsck errors how you have to run it manually

logs dont give any clues on why it froze either, the same thing happened when layer1 of cpanel was done, it was at cleaning up temp files and froze there......

I also reverted back to the orginal kernel 2.4.2-2smp and going to run that for 24 hours to see if when i wake up, the server is not responding, if its not, then maybe hardware issue?

some things i pucked from the logs

Dec 28 16:46:31 localhost kernel: swap_dup: Bad swap file entry 00000050 (alot of them)
Dec 28 16:47:52 localhost kernel: <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address db12e894
Dec 28 16:47:52 localhost kernel: printing eip:
Dec 28 17:25:57 localhost kernel: EXT2-fs error (device sd(8,5)): ext2_free_blocks: Freeing blocks in system zones - Block = 18, count = 1

(FYI: server crash occured DEC 29th @ 4:30am...so those above are from previous day)

ADD: just reloaded 2.4.2-2smp kernel and no major errors on reboot, guess i will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it freezes or not....

[Edited on 12/29/01 by AlaskanWolf] [/quote:c8c6ba2bfe]

You\'ve either hit a kernel bug or have bad hardware.

AlaskanWolf

Aug 11, 2001
Fremont CA
thanks for the info nick, i ran the memtest for 3 hours, and all came and passed ok

any more suggestions ? prob going to upgrade kernel to latest, if that doesnt do it, prob will call amax

B

bdraco

[quote:3e5a6f9063]thanks for the info nick, i ran the memtest for 3 hours, and all came and passed ok

any more suggestions ? prob going to upgrade kernel to latest, if that doesnt do it, prob will call amax

[Edited on 12/29/01 by AlaskanWolf] [/quote:3e5a6f9063]

Looks like a bad scsi controller or drive ....

AlaskanWolf

Aug 11, 2001
Fremont CA
Ok to add on top of this thread, here it goes

while waiting for your response, i got ahold of a friend to upgrade the kernel, as soon as he was going to enter the server, it froze, and i was able to pull this from the logs after NOC rebooted machine

in messages right before it crashed

Dec 29 17:36:03 sandy kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 9ed40028

xxxxxxxxxxxxx