Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Installed Kernelcare, now don't have symlink protection?

Discussion in 'Security' started by quanin, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So through the CPanel store just a bit ago I purchased the Kernelcare license and had it supposedly installed successfully. However, once it installed, I apparently no longer have either the free patchset or the extra patchset, and Security Advisor is letting me know of such a thing as it should. I had thought when KC was licensed, CPanel would automatically bring down the extra patchset? Does that happen during the nightly SA scan, or will it also happen when I scan it manually? Or, am I entirely off base and does that happen the next time the auto-update runs? Thanks for any info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Running this command should enable the extra patch set.

kcarectl --set-patch-type extra --update

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cPanelMichael likes this.
  3. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    that much I gathered. I was more asking because if there's a process that's supposed to run to take care of that, there's not much point in me doing it manually. I can and will, but wanted to make sure I didn't come across something possibly broken first--I know better than to DIY a thing CPanel will just come along and clobber without first asking it nicely to get out of my way. :)

4. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    AFAIK cpanel does not have any process that would enable this for you. There is no WHM integration or anything for kernelcare that i am aware of.

Its just something that we always do when we install KC initially on a cpanel server is to turn that on.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @quanin,

As I understand, the free patchset should be automatically converted to the extra patchset after purchasing the KernelCare license. Here's an entry from the version 70 change log suggesting this should work:

Fixed case CPANEL-17638: Set default patch set when KernelCare is purchased via Security Advisor.

If that didn't happen, can you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look at your specific environment to verify it's supposed to work like that, or determine why it didn't? You can post the ticket number here and we'll link this thread to it.

Thank you.

6. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    could be the documentation needs updating, then. Per the docs, if you were running the free patchset before (I was), then the extra patchset will be installed if you purchase a license. Again, no skin off my nose either way, it was more a point of curiosity than anything else. If I'd known last night that was inaccurate I'd have installed it 30 seconds after paying for the license. Thanks for the help.

Source: Symlink Race Condition Protection - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

7. quanin

quanin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @cPanelMichael: I don't think it's really such a major issue that a support ticket's required. I can fix it with a single command--I was mostly just making sure I needed to.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @quanin,

Mainly we want to make sure there's no regression of intended behavior. If you can open the ticket, it will help us to see the server environment and verify there's a use-case we missed as part of CPANEL-17638.

Thank you.