The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing a backed up non cpanel website to server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Simon Lloyd, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Simon Lloyd

Simon Lloyd Member

Hi all, im very very new to webhosting, in fact i am reselling some of my space on vps as i have far too much at the mo'

My problem is one of my colleagues has a non cpanel website (it looked like cpaenl only very very dated and was grey and purple? i believe) that he has backed up to his hard drive and wants to be hosted on my vps, i have whm too so creating the account etc is not a problem (that much i can manage) what im wondering is if he uploads everything via cpanel will it include his previous non cpanel control panel and will he then have problems with his site? also how would i/we install his databas if he has one?

As i said i know very very little about webhosting and am no webmaster!

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

There are a lot of unknowns with what you said to say that you really
    need an expert to take a look at this one (which fortunately I am).

For some other control panel systems, you can directly import the data
    from those systems. For others, you need to manually make some
    conversions to get things ported over and that takes a little know how.

Without knowing specifically what system you are porting from, I could
    not give you specific detailed instructions for what you need to do but
    I could probably tell you pretty quickly if I saw what you have.

At the very barebones minimum, I'd need to know what system you
    are converting from and can maybe put something together from that.

Anyway, to answer your main question though, yes you should be able
    to import the account into Cpanel assuming everything needed for the
    account has been backed up in some form. It may take a little work
    getting it all converted but you should be able to do it. I personally
    have done hundreds if not thousands of these types of conversions
    but the details vary depending on what exactly you are importing.

3. Simon Lloyd

Simon Lloyd Member

Thanks for the detailed reply and tolerating a newbie, my client uses Ensim Pro 4.0.3-22.rhel.3ES as their control panel i dont have his files as he's backed his website up to his pc.

Regards,
    Simon

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Since he's already backed up the site, you'll have to assume he's backed up his databases as well. Does he know where they are located in the backup? If yes you can import them easy enough into the account you've already created for him, into the database(s) already setup by you for them to go into as needed.

Anything in that backup that's in the public_html directory can as well be moved into the new accounts same directory.

You don't mention anything about trying to restore this account using WHM, so I'm assuming you're going it manually. To just get his files in there and the databses setup shouldn't be a big deal at all.

If it's email data and statistics, the problem could grow a bit of course.

5. Simon Lloyd

Simon Lloyd Member

Hey thanks for that reply that sounded less ominus, there will be email, i do have whm and i haven't created his account yet, is it easier for me to do it through whm?

He is going to be a paying customer, and i use phpcoin with a whm plugin to create the account when they have paid, but i would gladly upload his files etc through whm if its easier and more reliable :)

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, what I meant was, creating his account via WHM normally, then logging in as him and uploading his files via FTP. Nothing fancy there.

7. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Soltion

As you mentioned your clients existing control panel is other then cPanel due to that I recommend you following three steps to restore the website without any problem on your VPS.

1) Create new account from your WHM >> Main >> Account Functions >> Create a New Account.

2) Upload the website content under the public_html by using FTP or you can also upload it from your clients cPanel >> FileManager

3) You need to upload the database backup files in .sql format under the public_html and then create the new database as well as database user name which you are using in your scripts configuration file from your clients cPanel >> Mysql database and assigned the database user to newly created database and then restore the database from shell by using following command

Or

you can also restore the database backup file under the newly created database from your clients cPanel >> phpmyadmin and select the import option and fetch/upload the .sql format file from your local machine.

Note : E-mail backup will not work properly because cPanel and Ensim E-mail structure is different.