The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Behind a firewall/router

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glennr, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Glennr

Glennr Member

Based on this from the licensing page:

All Licenses are per server with unlimited domains. To qualify for licensing your IP must be publicly-visible and static. Please do not request licensing for dialup or dynamic IP cable modems (dyndns, DHCP, etc). If your server is behind a firewall/router, please provide the external IP. Licensing issued directly through us is transferable through the cPanel Store.

It appears that it's possible to set up the cPanel/WHM server behind a firewall/router.

I have a cPanel license and I would like to move my server behind a firewall/router. What I can't find is how to do this. Everything I see expects public IPs. How do you set it up to have private IPs for websites and then allow the firewall/router to NAT?

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

2. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Set DMZ on your router to forward to the servers Local IP (Something like 192.168.1.103 etc), to make sure that all outside traffic will be put through to the server.

Once that's done, and you can get to the Default Apache page by accessing your external IP, ask them to license that IP.

Shouldn't be any problems...

3. Glennr

Glennr Member

I figured that would be fine for one IP, but what about with multiple IPs?

The webserver I have currently runs 7 different sites on it. All of the sites currently have publically addressable IPs.

Glenn

4. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In that case, you wouldn't use a router, but a switch, and you would need a special plan from your ISP, with assigned static IPs. I believe the best Comcast (My locked in ISP) has is Home Networking with 5 Ips, just hook the switch up to the MODEM and add your server / other PCs on the switch, and just add the assigned IPS to the server / other machines manually.

Something to consider, I would suggest re-thinking how you're doing this operation - Weigh the positives against negatives. Is saving around $90 per month worth all the trouble of not only settuping up a home operation, but keeping it stable? Not to mention bandwidth bottlenecking at peak times... But of course, It can be done :rolleyes:

#4 HostMerit, Jan 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. Glennr

Glennr Member

Thank you, but I know how to do it outside of a firewall, that's how it's set up now.

What I want to do is put it behind a firewall, a PIX 515 or a Linux built one specifically.

Will a cpanel/whm install behind a firewall support mutiple static IP domains? If so, how is it set up?

Glenn