The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing cPanel on a personal webserver? [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by PigFarker, Oct 1, 2005.

1. PigFarker

PigFarker Member

Installing cPanel on a personal webserver?

Would it be possible for me to install cPanel on my personal webserver(my PC)? The main reason is because i my old host used cPanel and i have a backup which i cant seem to use because I always get errors when open any file (like a .php). I want to know if I can install cPanel on my server and do I NEED cPanel to install the backup?

2. ctbhost

ctbhost Well-Known Member

what webserver are you using ? apache ? and have you got PHP installed on your personal server

3. PigFarker

PigFarker Member

Yes, apache

4. PigFarker

PigFarker Member

How would I install PHP? Whenever i go to http://localhost it just shows all the files and folders in the directory set up. Also why is it when i go to http://(my ip) it wont connect? I could also use help on the server to. If someoen could walk me through I have AIM: Drigermaster1234

5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

A cPanel backup will be nothing more than a compressed file containing all the files needed to supply your website, databases and all other settings. Therefore you won't need cPanel running on your own personal web server in order to use the data from a cPanel backup.

You'd basically have two options here:

1) Install on your personal web server all the necessary applications i.e. Apache, PHP, MySQL, and so forth

2) Start with a basic server setup, install cPanel and restore your account from the backup

If you are doing this solely for the purpose of retrieving and using the data in your backup, the first option is probably the best.

If you go for the second option, you will need to purchase a licence to run cPanel and then once fully installed on your personal web server you will not really be able to use the server as anything other than a hosting platform. Therefore if it is currently used as desktop PC, or for anything GUI-based, you won't be able to do so any more.

I'd strongly recommend the first option, in which case you need to do some hunting around on the web for guides to installing and configuring Apache, PHP and MySQL.

If you want to go for the second option, read and re-read the cPanel installation instructions at http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/ and then follow them.

6. PigFarker

PigFarker Member

Would installing everything make everything open correctly? For example if I just try to open up my index.php from my desktop, it would say: Vbox Error: Failed to initialize security client. Error code 103. I am currently done installing PHP on my apache, and once I go to my http://localhost, it acts like a text document.

7. PigFarker

PigFarker Member

Ok, I just reinstalled my server with Xampp. Its still apache but with everything pre-installed. How would I successfully make everything work like it was before?

8. mgsnnetworks

mgsnnetworks Well-Known Member

try readıng my post on how to ınstall cpanel. that wıll help or pm me and ı wıll help u wıth ıt