PartnerNOC
Nov 22, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I simply found nowhere else to ask this, so I'm asking it here:

A client asked me to install the enchant library for PHP:
PHP: Enchant - Manual

It appears that this requires a bunch of other packages, including GLib, GModule and libenchant itself. It doesn't appear like this is listed in WHM/EasyApache.

So the question is: is it safe/recommended to install all of these on a shared hosting server? I checked some shared hosting servers at some large international hosts and it doesn't seem they have this module.

Thanks in advance.

HostCenter IL

PartnerNOC
Nov 22, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Another question please: After installing Enchant through EasyApache I tried to install the PECL for PHP (because it doesn't just work with PHP by itself, unless I'm missing something). When installing through WHM, I get a log which ends in:

Code:
checking for re2c version... invalid
configure: WARNING: You will need re2c 0.13.4 or later if you want to regenerate PHP parsers.
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for ENCHANT support... yes, shared
configure: error: Cannot find enchant
ERROR: `/root/tmp/pear/enchant/configure --with-enchant=shared' failed
The enchant.so object is not in /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626
Tidying /usr/local/lib/php.ini...
No changes
Tidying /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc/php.ini...
No changes
I found a lot of people with similar problems, but couldn't find a solution. What is says is that re2c is missing. So do I need to get this: /http://re2c.org/? Because that would make sense based on the log, but nowhere in the Enchant docs have I found mention of this requirement.