Installing FastCGI, or working with other PHP handlers

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah - that's something you'd have to do over an SSH connection to the system. If you'd like to open a ticket with us and mention me in the subject I'll be happy to take a look for you directly.
Done. Thank you so much!

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex

Ok so now after your tweaking everything seems to work as expected. Thanks so much for the help!

Although with suphp now enabled, Lighthouse dropped from 97 to 93ish.

Is this to be expected?

Is suphp really the best option for Wordpress?

Thanks for all of your help!

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The other option would be our default of CGI + ruid2. You could switch back to that option and see if the score changes in your favor again.
What IS the BEST option for WP, regardless of score? I'd rather have the more stable option.

Thanks.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not sure there is ever a "best" - we have all those different options for a reason, and both options will likely run properly on your server without errors.

Some admins like to finesse the best possible performance out of their server and spend a lot of time getting things finely tuned. Some admins just leave the default settings and go with it. Either will get you a stable environment where things work well though.

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not sure there is ever a "best" - we have all those different options for a reason, and both options will likely run properly on your server without errors.

Some admins like to finesse the best possible performance out of their server and spend a lot of time getting things finely tuned. Some admins just leave the default settings and go with it. Either will get you a stable environment where things work well though.
Understood. I was under the impression suphp would be "best" as it sets the correct file permissions for WP.

Am I mistaken here?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The CGI/ruid2 combo will also use the correct permissions as well. It might be worth it to switch back and forth to see if you notice a performance difference, as it's just a few clicks in either the EasyApache or MultiPHP Manager interface.

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The CGI/ruid2 combo will also use the correct permissions as well. It might be worth it to switch back and forth to see if you notice a performance difference, as it's just a few clicks in either the EasyApache or MultiPHP Manager interface.
Lemme see if i can figure that out....

Is Lighthouse a legit way to test??

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can't speak for the validity of any particular test software as that isn't something we make or test, but you were getting consistent results earlier. In the past I've also used the GTMetrix tools as well with good results.
Copy that.

Do I install mod_ruid2 in EasyApache?

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex

I get this message..................

The following conflicts are installed on this machine. They will be removed as part of this package selection:
  • mod_mpm_worker
  • mod_cgid
  • mod_http2
  • mod_suphp
  • mod_suexec
The following requirements are not installed on this machine. They will be added as part of this package selection:
  • mod_mpm_prefork
  • mod_cgi
  • mod_ruid2
Do you want to proceed with this selection?

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
At first glance, this looks like it would be going back to how it was before we started messing around??

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Lol...

The "fastest" time was after we enabled http2, PHP-FPM, but NOT suphp. It was 97 at that point, and Felt fast!!

If I just switch back to cgi in PHP Handler, will that get me back to where I was??

My head hurts....

:-p

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah, I didn't remember if that was pre-suPHP or not.

It should! If you get it to a point where you like it, it's best to leave it :D

I'd switch back to the CGI/ruid2 option through EasyApache and then choose that handler through the MultiPHP Manager interface and see if it still has the quicker "feel"

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can't remember Exactly either to be honest. I could go back and read every post we have made, but at this point...

It's Christmas Eve and I could use a drink! lol

I fixed cars for a living in my real life for years. The saying there was...

"If it ain't broke, dont fix it!"

Right now everything is working, and I feel like we have pretty solid options installed. I may just leave it as is. It feels Much faster than my shared server Ever did, so I'm already ahead of the game.

I have one more thing I'd like to explore in my email settings, but I'm not sure If I want to do that today.

So for now. Thanks for your help with all of my dumb questions!!!

Merry Christmas Rex! I hope Santa brings you lots of new toys!!!

:-D