The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing GIT

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by wrender, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wrender

wrender Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the best way to install the GIT software with cPanel and CloudLinux 6.x and while using CageFS 3.5? I had it installed from source, but I would like to use RPM if possible.

I have tried to install it using this, as it complains about broken dependencies otherwise.
    Code:
    yum install git --disableexcludes=main --skip-broken
    This installs the perl-Error and perl-Git modules though, and I am a bit concerned that this will cause issues with my cPanel/WHM installation.

- - - Updated - - -

I also get this error when using cagefs. I think i've created a bit of a mess here!

fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'http'

#1 wrender, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would not suggest installing git onto a cPanel server. I've seen it break perl on such servers.

3. wrender

wrender Well-Known Member

That is too bad. So it is not supported by cPanel? Is there any plan for future cPanel releases to support Git? The reason I ask is a lot of developers, and content management systems are using git these days for patching etc. The CMS we use Drupal uses it a lot.

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might want to check for an existing feature request and, if one doesn't exist, post there for git support. The feature requests are submitted at Feature Requests for cPanel & WHM

Thanks!

5. KrystalS

KrystalS Active Member

Suggesting not to install git isn't really a solution to the problem that some people need to use git!

Personally I've not had any problem installing git via YUM, but this method also works if you only need it on a per user basis.

You'll need to enable compilers for the user that wants to use it, and then SSH in as that user ( not root ) - then follow this:

Code:
    cd ~
    wget http://git-core.googlecode.com/files/git-1.7.9.2.tar.gz
    tar zxvf git-1.7.9.2.tar.gz
    cd git-1.7.9.2
    ./configure --prefix=/home/$USER
    make
    make install
    echo 'PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin' >> $HOME/.bashrc
    source $HOME/.bashrc

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I've seen 3 tickets to our ticket system where the entire system was unable to function any longer due to installing git as a server (not as a client application but server-wide) on a cPanel machine, I will most definitely suggest to people not to install it on cPanel.

If it's a production machine, you are possibly risking the entire machine no longer working. At that point, then a ticket is sent to us and we are asked how to fix what has been done. We can only fix so much when someone installs a component that causes perl, required as a necessity for cPanel, to cease working entirely. It even replaces portions of the perl libraries to the point it's nearly impossible to return the system to a working state for cPanel.

7. muppsy007

muppsy007 Member

Good and timely advice aside, KrystalS is correct I'm afraid Tristan. Not installing GIT it is not a solution to the problem. It is merely an avoidance of a problem that sees cPanel break if you do so. Tour recommendation here may be the correct one, but the number of tickets you quote as reasoning for your recommendation only highlights this avoidance.

This is not to say that this problem lies solely on cPanel's shoulder's. Two systems can simply be incompatible. However in this case we are talking about what is becoming the biggest version control system in the industry. One that runs just fine on the very same server absent of cPanel. In fact it sounds like it runs just fine on the very same server WITH cPanel. It's just that cPanel runs the risk of not functioning at all. While GIT still hums along just fine.

It is this latter fact that makes it rather obvious that, although currently the correct action, simply not installing GIT is not any form of a solution. Hopefully that line will change and a discussion emerges (or has already). Because if not, the thing you are forgetting is the two systems are both heavily tied to the development life-cycle of their users, your customers.

And given the emerging prominence of GIT and Github, it's pretty hard to say which system developers and business owners will make do without for the benefits of the other. Given the vast distribution and adoption rate of GIT, I would be a little concerned with this incomparability if I were working at cPanel. Let's be honest, finding web server management software that not only doesn't allow you to use GIT even natively, but also may break your production environment in doing so, will be a bit of a WTF moment for many.

8. kuroi

kuroi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The warning is helpful and appreciated, but as @muppsy007 suggests this does create a WTF moment.

It's wrong to see GIT as something that lives only on development servers. We use it for version control, deployment and rapid installation of 3rd part packages, so it's working its way into every aspect of our workflow and incompatibility with cPanel is a therefore a major impediment to ongoing use of cPanel, at a time when cloud hosting offers some very viable alternatives.

Here's hoping that the cPanel team responds in time.

9. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  10. ukzembla

ukzembla Member

OK… I didn't know this, and installed it a while ago using

yum install git --disableexcludes=main

What do you suggest doing to reverse this if it causes instability? Things seem fine at the moment, but you have me worried…

11. muppsy007

muppsy007 Member

@ukzembia

Someone may answer with specifics, but Tristran said that earlier instances of reported problems seem to do irreparable damage to the PERL libraries cPanel uses. The problem doesn't appear to be an incompatibility with GIT directly, but a result of what the GIT installation process does to PERL. I don't think there is simply an "undo" that will reverse those changes. The fact that you are still running means you may be OK. That's not to say you still will be on any given cPanel update. I don't think anyone can tell you with any certainty if that will happen.

I'm taking the current line and simply not touching GIT for deployment until cPanel supports it. (see feature request above). If that takes too long without a *stable* solution, I will re-evaluate our position completely. Already since my last post, GIT has become a more daily and cost effective part of our development life cycle than any server tool.

12. friedmayofan

friedmayofan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Installing GIT (this works for single user so far)

SOOO Fantastic. I did this for "one" reseller user with very limited privileges (still had compilers on by default I guess) on a VPS.
    no other users affected so far. Of course, substitute:
    git-1.7.10.1 with git-1.x.y.z with xyz being the completing numbers for the version string you want to install.

Thanks again KrystalS!!!

Sincerely,
    friedmayofan

13. ukzembla

ukzembla Member

@muppsy007

Looking back over the relevant bits of my yum log from last year (!), this seems to be everything that was installed at the time… so if I were just to remove those, any ideas? Worried about an update breaking things badly… If there'd been any advice on this I wouldn't have installed it (or done it for one user); this is news to me…

Installed: perl-DBI-1.52-2.el5.x86_64
    Installed: perl-Git-1.7.3-1.el5.rf.x86_64
    Installed: git-1.7.3-1.el5.rf.x86_64
    Installed: perl-TermReadKey-2.30-3.el5.rf.x86_64

I'd greatly appreciate any remedial advice, from the forum or the cPanel team.

14. flashweb

flashweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been installing git on all my cpanel servers for more than 2 years now. I install from source as user root. Never had any problem.

Code:
    cd /usr/local/src
    wget http://git-core.googlecode.com/files/git-1.7.6.4.tar.gz
    tar zxvf git-1.7.6.4.tar.gz
    cd git-1*
    make clean && make distclean
    make configure
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    make install

15. radeonpower

radeonpower Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  16. sahostking

sahostking Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yea installed it using cloudlinux method. lets see how it goes

17. Dizyart

Dizyart Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How does one go about installing it as a client application.

I need git only for one user on the machine. Is there any way to install the git client without messing with cPanel libraries?

18. iseletsk

iseletsk Well-Known Member

19. keddie

keddie Well-Known Member

Hm, it looks like git was already installed on my base Centos 6 installation prior to installing Cpanel.

I appear to have a fully working git that updates via yum and doesn't break Cpanel.

I realise this isn't that helpful for those that want to install git retrospectively, but it should work for new installs of Cpanel.

20. electric

electric Well-Known Member

That's fantastic!

Does anyone know if this will work without cloudlinux being installed?