The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing imagemagick rootless (Really jst trying to instal Coppermine Gallery)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by totko, Feb 5, 2005.

1. totko

totko Member

see this link:

http://www.photopost.com/magicknoroot-php.html

I'd like to do that - my host is very lazy and it'll take forever for him to install it. I've checked and imagemagick in NOT installed. I tried following that FAQ, then using Coppermine Gallery, and it says that it found "convert" but that the script could not be run.

Help, please; much appreciated.

2. totko

totko Member

Oh, and I tried using GD, but that doesn't work, either.

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Well, to follow that procedure it looks like you're going to have to have shell (SSH) access which practically NO host will allow for customers. You're also going to need to have access to the system compilers, and most hosts also change the permissions on those so that unpriviledged users can't use them (it another layer that can help foil script kiddies uploading malicious code and compiling it on the server in order to run a local root exploit or a ddos or irc program).

You might be able to hack up a perl or php scrip to run the commands there, your host likely can't prevent that... but really if your host is so bad that they can't spare 5 minutes to install an rpm, then you should really find another host since yours doesn't appear to care about their customers. My server (RHEL3) came with a default (and older) version of imagemagick, and it took me only a few minutes to get a newer version and install the rpm. There are numerous hosts in the industry who would be happy to help you... it's a very competitive industry and it sounds like your host can't keep up.

What locations are you using for the imagemagick binaries? You may just be looking in the wrong place (though your host should be competent and customer-friendly enough to tell you where it is located).

Can you use NetPBM for photopost? I use Gallery (gallery.menalto.com) and it can use imagemagick or netpbm, and they have some netpbm binaries that you can just put in your userspace to use with gallery.

4. totko

totko Member

Eh... unlimited space and bandwidth for $10/month is hard to beat. If you guys have anything better, I'd gladly switch hosts.

I do have shell access, but not root access, so - right - I can't rpm it. The location I FTP'd the binaries is public_html - I can go one directory higher with ftp, and I can go all the way to root with ssh.

And I'm really liking Coppermine. I hate to be picky, and I know Gallery is a comparable alternative.

5. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

guess you get what you pay for ! :rolleyes:

6. totko

totko Member

indeed. stupid host :mad:

7. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

There is some sort of limit there... there has to be... as your host wouldn't allow you to consume $100 or $1000 worth of bandwidth a month if you're only paying $10/mo. They'd find some way to cancel you. They can only offer such an 'unlimited' plan because they oversell (heavily) their resources and don't expect anyone to use anywhere near usage that would actually cost them or load the server down too much.

What resources are you currently using now, anyways?

Well, if you have shell access, you ought to be able to download the source code for imagemagick, and compile it in your space... you just won't be able to 'make install' since you don't have root. Then you can just point your program to the location of the compiled binaries that are in your user space.