The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Joomla on webserver

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by c_lucia10, Aug 11, 2009.

1. c_lucia10

c_lucia10 Registered

Hi everyone, i need help!!!

I successfully uploaded joomla into the web server, but for some reason i cannot connect to my DB created on CPanel.

Are there any additional steps i should know about when creating a DB on CPanel that may interrupt my joomla installation??

I really appreciate your help!

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Please make sure that you have selected the user to gain access to the database and assign the appropriate previleges to the user. And alos you will need to use the localhost as the hostname while installing the joomla.

If you still face the issue then provide us the error message if you are receiving any.

3. c_lucia10

c_lucia10 Registered

thanks for the response!

I did create a user with the right previleges, and a pasword. Also i specified "localhost" as the host name in joomla.
    the error message i get is :

Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL.
    I appreciate your help!

4. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

If you have SSH, you can try to connect to mysql using user/pass/db you've created. Like this:
    $ mysql -u cpuser_dbuser -p cpuser_db
    then type the pass you've asigned. Take care about prefix that is automatically added when you create a mysql user/db. The prefix is the account name and a underscore. If login doesn't work, remove user and recreate it form cpanel.

(if you like, you can try my Joomla cpaddon Joomla and Magento cPAddons It's free.)

5. Kailash1

Kailash1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you have assigned privileges to mysql user properly then you should not face the problem. Just double check there is no space in username and password fields. If problem still persists, I suggest contacting your hosting provider.

Kailash

6. soundmartell

soundmartell Registered

Hello
    I will explain step by step as I have. For me it worked like this:
    In Cpanel.
    1 - I created the database named in the Cpanel: USERNAME_DBNAME
    2 - Create a user for that database in Cpanel with name:
    DBNAME_USERNAME
    3 - assign that user to the database in Cpanel.
    4 - I assigned all privileges to the user for that database in Cpanel.
    In Joomla:
    If you're doing an installation using the installation wizard, use the data you created in the Cpanel as database name, user name.
    VERY IMPORTANT!
    Almost always the host used in the MySQL server is localhost but, for example, in my case not, I use the IP address of my MySQL server. Contact your administrator to inform you if the MySQL server is localhost or it tells you the IP of the MySQL server.
    VERY IMPORTANT!
    If your MySQL server is not localhost, you have to add your IP to the list of remote servers in the Cpanel / databases / remoteMysql to be able to access the database, otherwise deny you access.
    Livan