The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing my own Apache, MySQL

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by dennismv, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dennismv

dennismv Member

Is it a good idea to install my own Apache and MySQL servers over CPanel's managed ones ?

Some questions:
    * What will I lose if I do install them ?
    If I do, most likely I will simply remove apache via "rm -f" commands and remove MySQL via "rpm -e" commands. Then install from servers from sources.

* If I do so, can I replug myself back into CPanel ? I do want to retain certain features, like domainname.ext/cpanel shortcut.

* Why am I doing this in the first place ? I keep getting MySQL lockups, and I was hoping to fix it that way... sounds a bit like a sledge-hammer approach through.

2. cicogal

cicogal Registered

I think you can do it, take look at the /scritps/easyapache and make sure you compile your version to support cpanel.

But beware you will have few trouble, whne cpanel update, and cpanel updates too often

3. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

Just curious as to why you would want to do that.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

For MySQL, there is no problems installing your own version over what Cpanel installs
    and that really won't effect anything if you install it correctly.

Apache however is one that I would not touch unless you really, really know what you
    are doing because the odds are very high that you will totally blow away not only cpanel
    but your entire server as well and leave everything completely broken.

(Plus it kind of defeats the point of having Cpanel in the first place)

5. dennismv

dennismv Member

thank you. I will focus on MySQL then.

With Apache I am fairly confident I can install it w/o blowing the server down. Getting it to work with Cpanel is something I'd rather avoid though as it seems like a lot of work for nothing. I'm fairly satisfied with Cpanel apache, even though I am giving up some control to Cpanel with managing Apache.

To brendanrtg: it's a control issue. (We are working on it.)

If I update MySQL from Cpanel from 4.1 to 5.0, I am assuming all new code will be put in. I'll try that first before installing one myself.