The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing mySQL and MariaDB

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Skhilled44, Jul 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Skhilled44

Skhilled44 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, my VPS came preconfigured with MariaDB installed. However, some of the software I'd either like to use or test seem to have issues with it or just aren't coded for it and prefer mySQL. Is there a way to install both databases and let the software use which one is best for it?

I'm pretty sure this is just wishful thinking because I've never seen anything like that on any of the many servers I've been on. But would be a nice feature...like how you can switch PHP versions, etc.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

There's no support for using both MariaDB and MySQL at the same time. Downgrades to MySQL are not supported once the server is using MariaDB. Could you expand upon the specific issue you are facing with the scripts?

Thank you.

3. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Do you have any data in the MySQL already? if not, then you can try removing the complete database from your server and install the MySQL you want.. Online downgrading may not be supported, so you may have to reinstall the complete database first properly to the one you want.

4. Skhilled44

Skhilled44 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, cPanelMichael. I already knew you'd probably say that. LOL

24x7server, that's what I was trying to avoid. LOL But I do appreciate the help. :)

I did solve one of the two problems I was having. It was with Coppermine v1.5.46. But someone told me about a developer/release version here that did work:

Releases · coppermine-gallery/cpg1.6.x · GitHub

It is a "pre-release" but that's fine.

The other script was for SMF (Simple Machines Forums) involving an upgrade to a mod we were testing. There was a mbstring issue. However, I do need more information from the developer. He is busy with another portion of the project, atm, but will get back to me soon. I'll make a separate post with all of the details when he is ready. Thanks! :)

cPanelMichael likes this.