Installing PHP INTL Extension

atempel

Feb 23, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ok, so, first thread here, hope I'm not making any mistake about topic or something.

Well I'm installing Humhub here at the server, and one thing that I can't solve for some reason is a php extension... My knowledge of server management is medium or advanced, I don't really know, but I tried a lot of things and nothing came worked.

The extension is intl, with ICU greater than 4.8.1...

upload_2019-2-23_14-44-33.png

The server setup:
System: Linux 2.6.32-042stab133.2 (CENTOS 6.10 virtuozzo)
WHM: v78.0.11
PHP version used: 7.1
(if you guys need any other information, just ask!)

Per default, EasyApache 4 only gives me intl (1.1.0) and icu (4.2.1)
upload_2019-2-23_14-47-52.png

And those are the only versions that are available there, so I went to try to install a vendor package (REMI's) but then I found I would have to use the entire php71 package from him, so conflicts and lack of support from cPanel made me ditch this for now...

Is there any way to install a greater version? I don't know if I would need to upgrade CentOS (which is not really an option right now)

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @atempel,

The libicu RPM is managed by the operating system. In this case, the older version stems from the use of CentOS 6. While you could look into manually installing a newer RPM on CentOS 6, this is not recommended unless you have advanced system administration experience. The best approach is to upgrade the server to CentOS 7 where the newer libicu RPM is provided by default. We provide a list of companies offering system administration services on the link below should you decide to explore a manual RPM installation:

System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

Thank you.

atempel

Feb 23, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey Michael,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I acknowledge that in my post, but is there any libicu RPM that is compatible with ea php releases or the only compatible with that is the one provided by EasyApache?
I am able to install a custom RPM, and I even did that, but could not make the server use the custom version of PHP, which was REMI's intl/icu package... Since it is not compatible with ea-php71 and ea-php-common, and I would have to use all the REMI packages.
Even doing that, I was also not able to make the system run the php-71 from REMI...
Is there a way to add it to MultiPHP as an additional version to the others on the system?

cPanelMichael

Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @atempel,

The versions of PHP provided with EasyApache 4 (e.g. ea-php71) are compiled against the operating system provided version of libicu. Thus, if you were to manually compile a newer version of libicu on your system, then it should pick up this newer version. I couldn't find any user-reports suggesting a successful manual upgrade of this package, and the package you referenced appears to be a PHP-based package as opposed to libicu on it's own.

One alternative to consider is to use CloudLinux, as they offer the alt-libicu RPM that you could use with their PHP Selector feature to avoid upgrading to CentOS 7.

Thank you.

atempel

Feb 23, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the in-depth response!

Yes, the package I talked about, from REMI, is a package he compiled for CentOS 6 called icu-last, which comes with intl 3.0 and icu 50... That was the one I could find, so I went to try it, but in order to use it I would have to use the PHP package provided by REMI as well, and I wasn't able to do that, because MultiPHP can't find it. SLC even list it, but it doesn't appear in the MultiPHP.
I also tried to find the php.ini file in the package but couldn't find it, so I could make a symlink to make it work.

You spoke about compiling libicu manually, where can I find a source compatible with CentOS 6 that is higher than 4.8? I tried many things and at this point I don't ever remember if I stumbled upon this.

And about the CloudLinux, I'll look into it!

Thanks a lot for the information ;)

cPanelMichael

Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @atempel,

I was unable to find a path towards using the updated libicu version on CentOS 6 that didn't risk compatibility/dependency issues with additional system packages. Upgrading the system to CentOS 7 is likely the less complicated approach. If you can't upgrade to CentOS 7 at this time, then CloudLinux is likely the best alternative. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

atempel

Feb 23, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
...CentOS 7 at this time, then CloudLinux is likely the best alternative. Let me know how it goes...
Michael, what you meant with using CloudLinux as a solution, would be to migrate the server from CentOS to CloudLinux? I have a server that runs on a VPS from Godaddy, so I'm kinda stuck with CentOS, having only the possibility to upgrade to CentOS 7 losing all my configurations and getting a new server from scratch, and that's what I can't have right now, I have websites running from the VPS at this moment, and the downtime would be kinda long...
Or you meant to use RPMs from CloudLinux repos?

Sorry, I never used nothing from CloudLinux before...

atempel

Feb 23, 2019
Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Michael, what you meant with using CloudLinux as a solution, would be to migrate the server from CentOS to CloudLinux? I have a server that runs on a VPS from Godaddy, so I'm kinda stuck with CentOS, having only the possibility to upgrade to CentOS 7 losing all my configurations and getting a new server from scratch, and that's what I can't have right now, I have websites running from the VPS at this moment, and the downtime would be kinda long...
Or you meant to use RPMs from CloudLinux repos?

Sorry, I never used nothing from CloudLinux before...
Yeah, disregard.

I got to understand CloudLinux now, as an enterprise OS that needs a license to authenticate and use everything from them...
So it seems there's no straight solution, I think all I can do is to try a little more with REMI's packages and try to make it work with MultiPHP to be able to use the latest ICU.
Apart from that only if I make a really good schedule to migrate and upgrade the server to CentOS 7, is there a way to migrate or export everything from WHM to a new installation?

Michael, thanks a lot for your help and responses, you've been a great help. :)

cPanelMichael

Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @atempel,

Keep in mind that you can convert your server from CentOS 6 to CloudLinux 6 without losing data or reinstalling the operating system. CloudLinux provides a conversion script that takes care of this automatically, and it's designed to work with cPanel & WHM:

CloudLinux - Main | New template

Apart from that only if I make a really good schedule to migrate and upgrade the server to CentOS 7, is there a way to migrate or export everything from WHM to a new installation?
This is a fairly simple process, and we document the steps you'd need to take on the link below:

How to Move All cPanel Accounts from One Server to Another - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There's also a "Minimize Your Downtime" tab on the following document with some tips on how to reduce downtime:

cPanel Migration Services and Guides - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.