The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing PHP5.0.5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MZmuda, May 3, 2006.

1. MZmuda

MZmuda Active Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Absolute newbie question here:

I previously had PHP 5.0.5 installed through the WHM->software->apache update script, but now need to recompile / rebuild it.

As a Windows guy, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I do understand that there's a bunch of configuration options which I need to include to make PHP run properly.

I've redownloaded the PHP 5-0-5 source, and am ready to rebuild it, but would like to know what config options I need to include to have it work properly under cpanel?

My old cpanel install of php is still viable, and giving me the phpinfo() "Configure Command" as :

'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--prefix=/usr/local' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-mcrypt' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pdflib' '--with-pear' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-versioning' '--with-zlib'

Can I just use that as the configuration command, only adding the items (pdflib) support (per their instrucions) to install PHP?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Also, does anyone know of an easy way to set up a script in case I need to re-rebuild this package at some later time? (I could tell you how to write a .bat file, but, this is Linux! :) )

- Z

Oops - Almost forgot - Can I / Should I just save my php.ini file for use when the new version is installed? (ie: will the installation overwrite my old php.ini file, and if so, should I save a copy of the current (aka old) one for use with the new install, or is this a bad idea?)

Thanks again - like I said - Major Newbie here - :)

#1 MZmuda, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006