Installing Postgresql - HOWTO

marius

PartnerNOC
Jun 10, 2002
Bucharest
not very funny.

for me is not working. no matter how manny times i change the pass and hit the install config button.

i still cannot addusers to database and returns the above error when i try to enter "privilleges" for a db in pgadmin and still cannot allter privileges

justhost

Sep 2, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I am assuming my php was not compiled with postgresql support because the pg_connect() gives an error. Will upgrading my Php from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4 solve this issue?

Thanks.

fishfreek

Jan 2, 2004
Only if you check the postgresql support button in the update apache module.

If you check this module and stay at php 4.3.3 it should rebuild it with postgres support but I had to upgrade to 4.3.4 for some reason.

msasek

Nov 28, 2001
This may help some that are having problems getting cpanel to create databses or users after a successfull pg install.

Check your firewall! If you are running APF or other firewall, open the IG port 5432 in your port listing. This is what caused the problem for me.

Hopefully some will have their errors fixed by this easy solution.

webJ

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by msasek
This may help some that are having problems getting cpanel to create databses or users after a successfull pg install.

Check your firewall! If you are running APF or other firewall, open the IG port 5432 in your port listing. This is what caused the problem for me.

Hopefully some will have their errors fixed by this easy solution.
I'm kinda curious how you fingered that one out.

msasek

Nov 28, 2001
webJ,

The reason I figured it out was postgres was working fine for me before I activated APF, and would not work after. So I had a look a the port that it runs on which is 5432. Since it was closed in my apf config, I opened it to inbound traffic, and postgres worked correctly again. :)

webJ

Apr 9, 2003
Good Job msasek. I and I'm sure a lot of others appreciate your detective work.

marius

PartnerNOC
Jun 10, 2002
Bucharest
Originally posted by marius
not very funny.

for me is not working. no matter how manny times i change the pass and hit the install config button.

i still cannot addusers to database and returns the above error when i try to enter "privilleges" for a db in pgadmin and still cannot allter privileges
anyone... a hint about this???

ttremain

Feb 16, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Originally posted by msasek
webJ,

The reason I figured it out was postgres was working fine for me before I activated APF, and would not work after. So I had a look a the port that it runs on which is 5432. Since it was closed in my apf config, I opened it to inbound traffic, and postgres worked correctly again. :)

TCP or UDP ?

Promethyl

Mar 27, 2004
Something tells me a RDBMS wants to have a reliable connection so, TCP, most definately.

justhost

Sep 2, 2003
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How do you remove PostgreSQL ? I had installed it for a client but they decided against using it. I have no reason to leave it running so to lighten the load I figure I should remove it.

Anyone?

BigBamboo

Jan 5, 2004
Drop DB

To drop a Postgre Database (as it doesn't seem to work through phpPgAdmin):

run the following command in a shell:
dropdb -U postgreusername databasename

To drop a database you have to do it as the user associated with that database: that's where the -U comes in handy as even if you're root you can't delete a users db just doing a dropdb databasename.

Rackster

Mar 22, 2004
Open a new thread on this.

This thread is old. Need the latest updates on cPanel 9.4.1 and PostgreSQL 7.4.3.

ajralston

Registered
Aug 11, 2003
Unable to create database or user - solved.

I was runing into the same issue where I could not create a user or a database after the install. The issue was that I was logged in as Root on another browser window. Once I opened a different browser (IE) and relogged in as the user I was able to create the user and database.