Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Installing Ruby on Rails questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shayanf, May 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Shayanf

Shayanf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I am a Ruby on Rails developer and this will be my first time using cPanel.

We bought a domain name and was given access to a cPanel for our site, which I believe the version is 68 as indicated by the picture below:
    i65.tinypic.com/2jdotvc.png

I wanted to install Ruby on Rails onto cPanel so I followed this documentation, however I do not see any Application Manager button. All I see is an Installatron Application Installer, which does not contain Ruby on Rails.
    i68.tinypic.com/ndl3m.png

I've also emailed the support of the domain provider to enable the Ruby on Rails feature
    i65.tinypic.com/jb7qeq.png

but they replied and stated that they could not because its not inside of installatron, and told me that I can instead upload the files...

My questions are:
    1) Is there another way to install Ruby on Rails without uploading files.
    - If there is, could you provide some instructions?
    - Just for some info, my Ruby on Rails application uses Rails 5.0.6 and Ruby 2.3.3
    2) If I have to upload files, could I do it through SSH and Git?
    - I have SSH access and I prefer to use Git.
    - However I don't know which folders/directory I should be uploading the Ruby on Rails files onto

Any help would be much appreciated.
    If more info is required please let me know.

Thank you

#1 Shayanf, May 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2018
  2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

The cPanel & WHM documentation you referenced is for our older, deprecated Ruby and Rails support. That feature will not support your application as it installs an ancient version of Ruby and Rails.

Instead, your provider needs to enable Passenger and Ruby in the EasyApache 4 interface. Once that is done the Application Manager should appear for you. Application Manager - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation provides more information.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shayanf

Shayanf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you cPannelKenneth,

Your reply was helpful, however I got back in contact with the support and they said this:

"Sorry, but we do not support Ruby on Rails application.

So we cannot enable it."

Is there another way to install Ruby on Rails, or are we dead in the waters?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Shayanf,

Here's a discussion of this on topic on StackOverflow:

How do I install rails and create a new application without root access?

However, I've not seen any reports of someone successfully installing Ruby on Rails and installing gems on a cPanel server without root access. Aspects of the manual install process are likely to fail due to a lack of privileges. Additionally, if your hosting provider doesn't allow it through the supported Application Manager feature, then they are unlikely to allow a manual installation.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...