The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Software on VPS WHM, Overview Please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tally, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Tally

Tally Registered

I have recently set up a Fedora VPS and, as I am still just getting used to finding where everything is and discovering how much the WHM/CPanel can be used for and how much still needs to be done manually, I would wondering of someone could offer a quick overview of installing additional software/RPMs please.

I was initially looking to install curl as a test but cPanelDavidG's solution proved that one is handled separately:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f7/how-install-curl-91265.html

So just to see the practice for installing new software in general really,

Under "Software", "Install a RPM", there appear to be RPM entries, are these for ones that are already installed or extras that can be added? and Do you usually need to upload and install new installers manually via SSH command line, or is there another way of doing things?

Cheers!

2. UNIXy

UNIXy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It's best to install the software the cPanel way since you are working with a cPanel installation. Otherwise, you will end up with an unsupported install and, worse, it has the potential of breaking your production server.

As for the console, you can use YUM to install about anything you need. For example, if I need to install package sysstat, I do this from the command line as root:

Code:
    yum install sysstat
    If I need to know what packages I have installed, I do this:

Code:
    rpm -qa|grep -i sysstat
    Regards