The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing SSL certificate (will pay $10 amazon gift card)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gordita, Jan 20, 2004.

1. gordita

gordita Well-Known Member

I'm kind of in a bind here... can somebody help me out?

I've aquired a client that has a versign SSL certificate and I need to transfer it to one of my cPanel servers. He has sent me the .cer file he recieved from Versign when he purchased the certificate last year.... is that all I need?

I have no other information and it is unlikely that I will be able to aquire further information from the previous host.

Is everything I need to get it running? If so, then I'd like give someone this $10 amazon gift certificate to the first person who posts instructions that result in a sucessful install.

Thanks in advance...

#1 gordita, Jan 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  2. networxhosting

networxhosting Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Unfortunately, The .cer file is one of 3 files that you would be required to have to install this cert. The other 2 are the .key (private key) and the .csr (certificate signing request)

My suggest would be to contact verisign about this, and explain the situation and they may be able to issue a replacement certificate at a reduced cost, as they have done this with me before.

The best bet though would be to acquire the information from the previous host; otherwise you will have to do things the hard (and more costly) way

3. liquidcherry

liquidcherry Well-Known Member

ssl cert

hello gordita,

do you have access to the WHM(webhostmanager) or do you just use the cpanel....this makes a difference,you need to have the access to the WHM...

You can only install a new SSL cert(certificate) and not one from last year because its tied to the server/host...So this means your client have to either purchase a new or renew it but i would suggest that you call Verisign or try to use the lifechat option from Thawte , another provider of certs(and a Verisign Company) to get more informations on that...
    Another hint how to install the cert (again,only possible in the WHM) you can find here http://www.freessl.com/resources/pdfs/cp_white_paper_v1.00.pdf (<--personal Opinion: dont use them,they are cheap but not that good for real commerce sites,but this is your or your clients decision :),as current verisign customer he should stay with them )
    Its explained for their cert but basically its similar....
    First you have to generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request)
    and with that you can order with any Certificate Provider(Verisign,Thawte,Global,Geotrust),receive then a mail and install then in WHM the key+crt files.....
    So thats all for now,if you followed my little words you should be able to install the cert but feel free to contact me over pm here...

:D
    :cool:

Frank

P.S "to the OTHERS": Should i say that i can maybe wrong?maybe its possible to install the old cert but this is all the info what i posess so far,iam always happy to be corrected :D

P.S P.S hi networxhosting
    should we share the amazon gift card? loooooooool,just kidding

#3 liquidcherry, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  4. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Certificates are transferrable as long as the host/domain stay the same. So a cert registered to www.domain.com could be installed elsewhere. You will however have to have the key, csr and crt files. Your customer can contact their SSL vendor and they will resend these 3 files to him.