The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing ssl crts [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by darkfate, Apr 2, 2005.

1. darkfate

darkfate Registered

installing ssl crts

How do install them. I made a key crt file and a crs file. How do I put them in a webpage? is there an automated way or manual?

2. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

You made them?
    Are you trying for a self signed certificate or a commercial one?
    In either case you install using WHM

1. Click on the "Install an SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain link" in the SSL/TLS menu.

2. Enter the domain that the certificate is issued for, the user name for the users account, and Dedicated IP address assigned for the certificate in the Domain, User, and IP Address fields.

3. Click on the "Fetch" button to paste the .key and the existing .crt files for the domain into the available display spaces, if they are currently on your server. Otherwise, copy and paste the .key and .crt files into the available display areas.

The .crt file is the info that starts with -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    The .key file is the second file that was emailed to you from the server and is knows as the RSA file it starts with -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    Note: If you generated the certificate using WebHost Manager, the RSA key files will be available on the server.

4. Replace the existing .crt file if it was successfully retrieved on the server with certificate info

5.Click on the "Do it" button to install the new certificate.

3. darkfate

darkfate Registered

i dont have a ssl menu. I have an ssl manager these are the things in my cpanel:

Mail

Webmail

Change Password

Parked Domains

Addon Domains

FTP Manager

File Manager

Disk usage

Backup

Password Protect Directories

Error pages

Subdomains

MySQL Databases

Redirects

Frontpage Extensions

Web/FTP Stats

Raw Access Logs

Raw Log Manager

Error log

Subdomain Stats

Chatroom

PhpMyChat

Bulletin Board

CGI Center

Scripts Library

Agora Shopping Cart

Cron jobs

Network Tools

MIME Types

Apache Handlers

Manage OpenPGP Keys

HotLink Protection

Index Manager

IP Deny Manager

SSL Manager

Submit a Support Request

Image Manager

Boxtrapper

Leech Protect

Virus Scan

Stats Configuration

Fantastico
    :confused:

4. junior

junior Registered

need help with SSL manager

not sure if i am facing the same problem with darkfate.

my virtual host uses cPanel 10.1.0-CURRENT 4, no WHM. Using the SSL Manager, I have created one SSL key, one CSR and one CRT.

I have noticed a directory SSL has been created. I have also uploaded a file (index.htm) in that directory. What should I do to view this file?

I have tried http://ssl.mysite.com/index.htm and https://www.mysite.com/index.htm. Neither works. What should I do?

5. darkfate

darkfate Registered

im using an even older version its 10.0.0-RELEASE 149 but its cpanel pro 1.0 (RC2)

6. Trigger

Darkfate
    SSL Certifcates require your domain to be on a dedicated IP address, this can only be done by your host in WHM (the Admin interface for cPanel) not via the cPanel part itself.
    A dedicated IP will generally be an extra charge.

SSL manger is one of the options in cPanel that if the feature is turned on by your host will allow you to install a certificate, at this point I have not heard of anyone being successfull with it yet. I will investigate more to see what options it provides.

The standard method for generating a CSR and installing the certificate is to use WHM which is a feature reserved for Hosts only, so normally they will do all this for you ie. assign an IP generate a CSR etc they may even order and install a certificate for you.

If you do not have access to WHM you should contact your host to arrange a certifcate to be installed.

7. Trigger

Junior
    Same info as for Darkfate.

As for the SSL directory thats where the .key and .crt files will live after your certificate is installed. To view your files after a certificate is installed you use https://www.domain.com rather than http://www.domain.com.

All files live in public_html so you do not have to load them into another folder

8. junior

junior Registered

thanks. http://www.domain.com still works as normal, but https://www.domain.com returns a Cannot Find Server page on IE. What does that mean? The certificate does not work?

Anyway to install a certificate without having root access, which obviously I do not have?

9. Trigger

The error when you try to access the https:// means that you do not have a certificate installed.

You do not need Root access to the server you need access to WHM (WebHost Manager) thats the bit that allows you to create user accounts (cPanel logins). cPanel is the client interface, WHM is the Hosts interface which gives access to all the really good stuff.

There is a WHM Root account (owned by the server owner) which has control over all other accounts on the server and can create Sub WHM accounts (for the resellers or those users who have multiple accounts).

If you only have access to cPanel then you will have to talk to the people you get your hosting from to setup the certificate for you.

10. junior

junior Registered

thanks Ron. that is possible, but will inccur additional cost on my site. it is stated SSL cert. set up by the company are not free.

is there any other way to install a SSL cert for a linux, apache virtual server running cpanel?

11. Trigger

No sorry.

The host has to use a dedicated IP so the server known which SSL certificate is for Which domain name, these are limited and so cost money normally $1 - $2 a month from most hosts. Then there is the cost of the certificate itself.

Some hosts run shared SSL certificates on one of their domains and offer it free it would look like https://hostsdomain.com/~accountusername/ if your host offers this service it may suit you.

12. junior

junior Registered

i'm not sure if i'm right, but this is my understanding of it:

the mod-ssl manager under cpanel allows us to set up key, csr, and crt, which i did.

but in order to get them to work, we need to reconfigure the apache server. and there are 2 ways to do it.

1. using WHM, which i believe is a graphical interface.
    2. having root access to the server.

with a virtual server, i do not have access to either. so, I have to get the host to do it, and it will (normally) charge for this service.

13. Trigger

The SSL manager allows you to view and generate componants for the Certificate, it also allows you to copy the information out of your account. Great if you are moving hosts as you can copy out the .key and .crt which will enable you to take your Certificate with you.

You are correct the Hosting company has to set things up, you need to be on a dedicated IP address and have the certificate componants installed in the correct places. This can only be done with WHM or Root access to the server if you want to do it manually.

14. naox

naox Well-Known Member

I remind you that ssl protocol requires dedicated port on IP. That means if you want to use default port you need DEDICATED IP. Wihtout it in users cpanel option to INSTALL CERTYFICATE will be not present. Users without DEDICATED IP can generate SSL certificates, however not install it! If you want ssl then ask/buy from admin DEDICATED IP, or go beg him for dedicated port - other than default to run your ssl site.

15. wineo

wineo Active Member

i need to create a cert for sub.domain.com. So do I generate the private key for sub.domain.com or domain.com?

16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It has to be for the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) of where the certificate is going to be used, i.e. the subdomain name. You'll also probably need to setup the subdomain as a separate cPanel account on a unique IP address.

17. wineo

wineo Active Member

The domain has its own ip, but the subdomain doesn't (I guess it has the same as the domain tho). How do I create a cPanel account for the subdomain? Do I have to get the hosting company to do that for me in whm?