Installing SSL for Email server

emco83

Registered
Nov 2, 2016
Bulgaria
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a dedicated server with WHM.
There are couple of websites that I host. All the websites have email accounts by using:

Server Name: mail.websitename.com with STARTTLS connection security.
Username: their username
Password: their password.

My server has a self signed certificate. Unfortunately on Thunderbird and Outlook there's a big warning message that's it's not secured. Also after some time, the Thunderbird keeps warning about using not secured certificate.

So, now I want to install SSL certificate, but first I have some questions.

In WHM / Networking Setup I've set a hostname: server1.mydomain.com
I own the mydomain.com, but it's hosted in a different hosting company (if this does matter).

The mydomain.com that I own on different hosting company has email accounts like this:

Server Name: server10.theirdomainname.com with SSL connection security.
Password: their password

I don't want to change the hosting for that domain, but I want to make some changes for my clients email server.

Now if I purchase the SSL certificate, can I install to use the server1.mydomain.com, so the users later will be able to set email accounts like this?

Server Name: server1.mydomain.com with SSL connection security.
Password: their password

Any explanation about this process will be very useful, thanks.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

I believe the "Domain TLS" feature included with cPanel version 60 would address this concern without the need to purchase a SSL certificate. Here's a document that explains how the feature works:

What is Domain TLS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

In addition, you can review the information about Domain TLS from the cPanel version 60 release notes at:

60 Release Notes - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

cPanel version 60 is expected on the "Release" build tier this week. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!