The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing SSL on new IP while keeping the main site's ip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by electron33, Jun 25, 2006.

1. electron33

electron33 Well-Known Member

Let's say i have a domain www.domain.com on the shared ip and later on the client wants an ssl certificate installed.

Is it possible to install ssl in a new ip for the FQD www.domain.com (to get https://www.domain.com) and still keep the the main site (non-ssl) on the shared ip.

This would be the idea to avoid downtime. I know I can change the domain's ip and intalls ssl on that ip, but that would mean downtime until the new ip is propagated.

The is a site on the server's main ip that is using SSL i.e the server's main ip is already set for an SSL site. Would apache direct SSL requests to the new site to it's own SSL ip?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

#1 electron33, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. electron33

electron33 Well-Known Member

That's what I did eventually and indeed after 'some thinking'. Thanks Chirp!:)

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I've thought about it and while it's possible to do, it would still mean having to respond on the shared IP address for the SSL site, so I don't believe it would be possible to do in reality. You'll need to move the domain onto the new IP address and then activate the SSL cert.