The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing TeamSpeak on a VPS under a clients domain cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by durangod, Sep 5, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi i was wondering if TS can be installed on a clients cpanel account so just they could use it. Im on a VPS..

I know there is a video that talks about installing this on a VPS but honstly im not sure if TS requires the whole server or if it can just be installed under a clients domain cpanel. For example install it at myclients_site.net/teamspeak

Thanks..

PS... this post is not about cPGS: cPanel Game Servers Homepage but i just wanted to mention im just now hearing about this and its sad they decided to close it down... wish i had known about it sooner to play around with it a bit.

2. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    OK so i have it installed but have not yet started teamspeak. The reason (and i did not think of this before) is that i dont want to have to use the command line to start and stop teamspeak. So i will need to start a server or rather i guess add a service to the init.d folder.

This is my first experience with init.d and at first i thought i could do a custom init.d folder in my domain but i guess you cant do that, there is only one and its in the server root.. I have no problem changing that however i need to consider some things first and i need some help.

First if i add this service so that teamspeak starts when the server starts:

1. does that mean when someone stops teamspeak it also stops my server?
    2. when someone reboots teamspeak does that mean it reboots the server?

Adding the service for TS in the root init.d file the commands just affect that service right?

The last thing i want is for someone to be resetting teamspeak and my other hosting customers on the VPS have to suffer and get rebooted along with it.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

No, restarting the service would not reboot your server. It's the same for any other service (e.g. Apache, Exim, etc).

Thank you.

4. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    TY sir, well after several tests, i suppose its just not possible to set it up this way and have any performance at all. TS is just flat out structured to take all the space and as much resources as it can get lol.... Hosting slowed down to a crawl, and also there are just too many ways TS can get you into trouble security wise.

So after all this i finally realized (even though a good friend here who loves donuts warned me so lol) that its much better to just rent a TS server, let them take the risk.

Config wise whats good for hosting voice is not good for hosting sites. So let them deal with any updates and all of that mess. And besides its only like $3.00 a month for a TS server, so well worth it to use it pretty much hassle free.

Lesson Learned... i rented a TS server last night for the team lol...